engine floods

bluejeans

Threads
I bought a Shindaiwa eb-45 back pack blower used and It looks like a home owner hardly used it. Even though it's a older unit, the compression is very strong..I got it running then it started to flood the engine. I removed the spark plug and turned it upside down drained the fuel out of the engine and waited for the fuel to evaporate. After a couple of hours, i tried to start it again. Within a couple of pulls it flooded where gas is coming out of the muffler. Since it was old, I replaced the fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, check the spark, and removed the muffler and the exhaust screen. This time it will not start and floods within a couple of pulls again. HELP

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tank vent is blocked causing the tank to pressurise overcoming the metering needle spring and flooding the engine.
Can be a separate line with a valve or a valve in the cap.
Don't have any Echo IPLs

primerbulb120

Threads
I have come across 3 cases of the problem you describe:

1. I installed the wrong fuel pump diaphragm in the carb, causing the crankcase and cylinder to fill with fuel via the fuel pump impulse port. :laughing:

2. The needle valve got stuck open, causing the engine to flood.

3. I forgot to install the needle and metering linkage before re-assembling the carb. :laughing:

All of these were carbs I had just rebuilt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
which rebuild kit did you use ?
And what exactly did you replace?
The fuel pump only pumps 0.1cc at best per impulse cycle so after a few pulls you should not have raw fuel coming out of the muffler.
When did it start giving problems?
Something here is not adding up.
How was the trimmer stored ?
was it stored with the fuel tank full ?
Me thinks that fuel may have drained through the engine and filled the muffler while in storage.

What did the old pump & metering diaphragm look like when you removed them ?

bluejeans

Threads
The rebuild kit is wat-10. I replaced the fuel lines. I think the pump center might be bigger. The Shindaiwa calls for a 020, but the replacement is the wat-10. No longer making the 020.