Troy Bult Bronco from Lowel's, oil plug thread size

Ida-Boy

Threads
  • / Troy Bult Bronco from Lowel's, oil plug thread size
I bought a riding mower for my daughter and son-in-law for a house warming gift when they bought their home. My son-in-law is working 7-12's so my daughter asked for help winterizing the mower.
OMG :thumbdown:, the oil change plug is located in such a sad spot that it went all over the front of the mower deck and made a mess. I am thinking of buying a 4" nipple and elbow with a ball valve to eliminate this poor design but all ready filled the 17 HP B&S with oil. So now looking in the manual there is NO reference to thread size for the drain plug.
Anyone done a mod on this could help me out with the thread size?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
All I have encountered was 3/8" pipe with standard pipe thread.

primerbulb120

Threads
I would leave it like it is until the next oil change and install the valve then after all the oil has drained.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I would leave it like it is until the next oil change and install the valve then after all the oil has drained.

Yes, my thought also. Already in the shed with fresh oil, dryer sheets and stabil in the gas tank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want to reinvent the wheel , and enjoy it, go ahead
If not there s an off the shelf extension with a spring loaded bayonette fitting available.
Replaces the drain plug and you slip whatever length hose on the end of the barbed end to suit your mower.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trying to stay on topic, if our engines have a filter that makes a mess when changing, I've found a cleaner way. The procedure goes something like this for horizontal mounted filters.

Loosen the filter until it can be rotated by hand. Drill a hole into the filter at 12:00 o'clock on top within about a half inch of the bottom end. Place a container or funnel under the filter then rotate the filter CC wise 180°. When it has completed draining remove the filter with very little to no mess at all.