Vintage QT-16 Bolens

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
We were just given this QT-16 Bolens Model 1666-01 tractor by one of my step-son's customers. We believe it to be a 1972 or 1973 model. It has a Twin cylinder Onan BF-MS/2425 A engine and came with a number of attachments, including, cab, tire chains, snow blower, three-blade mower deck, trailer and lawn roller. The tractor and attachments are in incredibly good condition as everything was always stored indoors and only used occasionally. The original owner was getting rid of it due to a starting/running problem, which he believes is electrical. I have already removed the cab and hood, (Gads! This thing is built like a Sherman tank!!) and I did get it to start and run for a few seconds, but then it died just as he had reported it did for him. It seems from my initial investigation that the spark is strong, but intermittent and I'm not sure what would cause that, maybe the coil or condenser. I have to remove the exhaust muffler in order to access the points.

If the engine problem becomes serious, I may have to move my questions to the Onan Forum - - I guess there is one...

Here's are a few pictures for you antique Bolens lovers to drool over.

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1782_759.jpg
    DSCN1782_759.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1779_756.jpg
    DSCN1779_756.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1780_757.jpg
    DSCN1780_757.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 27

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope, I guess there isn't an Onan forum... What's with that? Onan made great small engines in their day..

Anyway, progress has been made.. First the muffler had to be removed to gain access to the points. That was not easy. I had to beat the two fittings on the muffler off the exhaust pipes. A little "Kroil" helped in loosening them up. Turning the key to "Start" and watching the points immediately indicated one problem, the points were not opening and closing. I didn't bother to look up the correct setting, I just readjusted them until they opened and closed. Then I pulled the spark plugs, one gap was almost non-existent, the other looked a little too tight, so again I didn't look up the correct gap, I just opening both of them up until they looked about right. I connected the sparkplug wires and laid one plug on the engine and cranked it over.... Nice strong spark, firing evenly too. However when I reinstalled the plug and cranked the engine, still no start. So I pulled both plugs and dribbled some gasoline into each cylinder and reinstalled the plugs. This time when I hit the key the engine started right up, but didn't keep running. I removed the air cleaner cover and squirted some gas directly into the carb while cranking the engine. It started and continued to run as long as I squirted gas in... Ah Ha! Now we know we have a fuel problem. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1783_760.jpg
    DSCN1783_760.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 26

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
FUEL VALVE!!! Who'd a thunk it???

After coming in the house I decided to sit down and read the operators manual.. (Did I mention that the owner gave us all the manuals that came with the tractor and all the implements too?) I was looking up the gap for the plugs and points (both .025") when I noted a section on fuel, so I read it.. Guess what? There is a little bitty fuel valve hidden up under the fuel tank. Once I found it, it was turned off so hard, I had to use pliers to turn it back on.. Hit the key, the engine cranked a few seconds and then started right up! I think after correctly gapping the plugs and points, I'll have the old girl running!

I also discovered that I was only supposed to remove the muffle bracket that is bolted to the front of the engine in front of the breaker box.. There are two healthy radiator type hose clamps around the muffler and that bracket that I could have removed and then removed the bracket itself, so I could work on the points under the muffler.. Oh well, this gave me better access and the muffler assembly came off in one piece, so I guess I'll be able to get it back on again..

Roger B

BWH

Threads
Sounds like a fun project, your right about a "Sherman Tank" These old Bolens were just brutes! Everything on these were built to last a lifetime and then be passed down to the next generation. My estimation is that the weakest part of the Bolens garden tractors from the 1250 through the QT-16 were the decks (tapered Bearings) and then the next thing to give out was the engines. My SD-14 Wisconsin on a 1455 lasted 25 years before I had to scrap it but that was after a couple of borings and then sleeving it, I'm on my 2nd Briggs plus I don't use it much for mowing anymore mainly for implements and dozer blade.

Never the less I still enjoy using it when ever I get the chance.

Good Luck with your Bolens, Yes I'm jealous of your acquisition!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
BWH,

Actually, compared to todays lawn tractors . . . well, there really Isn't any comparison, is there? Just the frame of this beast most likely weighs more than one of todays complete tractors! The hydraulic-drive rear-end is a massive iron casting, even the drive shaft between the engine and the rear end is heavy enough to use in one of todays compact cars. I have been truly amazed by it's construction. I well remember the old Simplicities, and Gravelys and even they were not anywhere near as rugged made as this Bolens!

Thanks for your comment, I noted that there haven't been too many posts to the Bolens Forum and I was concerned that maybe there wasn't much interest in them. Is there some site where a history of their tractors can be reviewed? You say, "from the 1250 through the QT-16". Were you speaking chronologically, or by HP rating?

If this was my machine, I'd steam clean the whole rig and spend a few months restoring it as well as I could, but my only assignment was to get it running. I'm afraid now that I have it going, it will be doomed to lots of work and very little love until it craps out again and comes back my way.. Oh well, as you said, it was an interesting project, but there is so much more that I'd like to do to it!!

Good luck with your 1455, I hope it has many more years of use. Sad it has to have a B&S, when it originally had an old Wisconsin.. Some things really aren't as good as "they used to make them", are they?

Roger B

BWH

Threads
Yes your right on the "Beast" I have been around Bolens all my life I grew up on a farm my Dad owned a Oliver tractor dealership that also sold Bolens garden tractors also. As kids my brothers and I couldn't wait for our once a week trip to the dealership to mow the place up while Dad went over the weeks business with the manager of the dealership. Of course we always used a current model to mow up the place, we even had a loader on a 1250 that was amazing back in 1968 to move snow (yes we had full size tractors and loaders available but the loader on the Bolens was far too tempting.

My first garden tractor was a 800 Bolens with a SD-8 Wisconsin and a three speed transmission with a two/speed This was the pipe frame but not to lessen the tractor the rest of it was cast iron the front frame and axel and the transmission/axel was a very large piece of cast iron. I use that for many years and still have it stored away. (I had a snow blower for this also and it was a great unit for its day)

My 1455 I believe weighs 980lbs. dry, you at right having that Briggs in it was a shame but some day I will put something in it that will make it proud again. I would like to get a twin cylinder Onan like the one you are working on as I believe the 1886 in the early 1970's had.

I was meaning the long run Bolens had in the 60's 70's 80's and possibly into the 90's where they were using the Eaton hydrostatic transmission is nearly unmatched by anything else. Too bad they had to lessen/cheapen up the Bolens line it couls still have been the "Cadillac" of the industry.

You can Google Bolens, I have found the complete history including models/years/specs. very interesting.

Thanks

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
BWH,

Ah Ha.. Now I understand your Bolens 'roots'! Good old Olivers, they were fairly popular up here in Maine back in the day. We still see them fairly consistently at vintage tractor shows. Any tractor that could survive plowing this rock pile we call "soil" up here had to be tough!

I also dabble at wood working and collect block planes. Your 1455 brought that to mind. (See picture)

Thanks for the information.

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1637_594.jpg
    DSCN1637_594.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 21

Pumper54

Threads
Roger,
Gas shut off valve. Is it not funny the things we can learn by reading the operator's manual? Just messing with you. Believe it or not I have found a bunch of information of different subjects simply using google. Sometimes the less information you search under the more you find.

Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Vintage QT-16 Bolens - Fuel Shut-Off

Tom,

Considering the age of the machine, I should have thought about a fuel shut-off, but I didn't... Thankfully when I was reading the operators manual looking for the proper points and spark-plug settings, I noticed the small section on fuel and the shut-off was mentioned, or I'd have never found it.. It is impossible to see unless you lay on the ground and look up under the gas tank and even then, I doubt I would have recognized it for what it is, it certainly does not 'look' like a shut-off. The handle is a small cylindrical, (maybe 5/8" in diameter) knurled knob, that looks all the world like part of a 90 degree fitting. I still wasn't sure it was the shut-off when I had to use pliers to open it..

I do wish that once I got the engine to fire and run it had run smoothly, but it doesn't. I suspect carburetor problems, but I'm not going to dig into it. If I do, I'll end up buying all the parts myself and I'm too damn cheap! LOL

I have worked on those twin Onan's before and they 'test' my mechanical abilities. I didn't grow up working on engines and when the opportunity did arise, I was always concerned that I'd not have the correct tool, or I'd miss some critical tolerance setting and screw it up.. I have always hated to screw things up and that has kept me from experimenting, especially on engines, which now at this age I realize is a pity, because I imagine I would have eventually learned something and have become more confident.. Oh well, at least I got it to start up and that's more than it would do when it came here.

Roger

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Vintage QT-16 Bolens - Fuel Shut-Off

Tom,

The handle is a small cylindrical, (maybe 5/8" in diameter) knurled knob, that looks all the world like part of a 90 degree fitting. I still wasn't sure it was the shut-off when I had to use pliers to open it.

That valve, with a knurled knob, is more than likely called a " Needle Valve " and takes only an ounce of torque to stop fuel flow when closing. That is if a previous mechanic hasn't already screwed it up by over torquing.

Some, with a bonnet nut, can be disassembled and threads/packing area of stem lubed.