FLAT TIRE ON NEW SD60

HSDPilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had an interesting situation with my new SD60. After cutting grass for the first time and "playing" with my new ZTR for a week or so, I discovered a completely flat left front castor tire. I checked all the tires for proper air pressure and found the right front had about 8 PSI in it. The max listed on the tire was 28 PSI. I put 8 PSI back into the Left , assuming the dealer knew the correct PSI needed. I also had read that less PSI would result in a better cutting ride on the SD 60. The tire went flat again in about a day. I was upset to think about dealing with Warranty work already. I then put 20 PSI in both front tires. The left lost air pressure again and was down to about 12 PSI by the next day. I refilled it and was calling about the warranty repair with the dealer. The tire has now remained at 20 PSI now for over a month. All I can figure is that the tire never had enough initial pressure to "seal" the bead properly on the wheel. Maybe someone here has an answer that makes better sense or that has experienced a similar situation. I love my new SD 60 and look forward to many years with it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was mine I would of found the air leak in the very first place and not even think of warranty unless it was a factory defect. I run 8 PSI in my castor tires but I also have inner tubes in them. If you aren't set up to do tire work why not just bring the wheel and tire to the dealer instead of the whole mower.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I would have just took the tire to my tire guy. Tires won't be covered under warranty..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have just took the tire to my tire guy. Tires won't be covered under warranty..

I am thinking the same thing unless its a defective tire or wheel. Its a new mower so I really think it wouldn't hurt the dealer to help the customer. This is the reason to find the leak first, but not everybody is set up to do tire work.

NorthBama

Threads
I would think if you bought it from a dealer he would just put a new tire mounted on a new rim to have a happy customer.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exactly, and if a warranty IS in order, the customer, more often than not, quickly becomes the enemy.

And speaking of tires, as early as 2009 John Deere used tires on some new equipment that my tire repair shop will not attempt to patch because of some kind of internal cloth like material. I was told a tube was required and went that direction. 6 bucks installed at Farmer's CO-OP. Can't beat that price.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Hard to beat farmers co op I use a co-op for my tires chemicals and many parts.

HSDPilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tested the tire myself and saw no signs of any leak. I was in the process of discussions with the dealer about returning just the tire when it resolved itself. Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep a close eye on it thru the winter as it sits in the garage.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wimpy tires of today.:laughing:
This one , on a 4 wheel trailer , still held air after being towed 6 miles to an auction.

On a more serious note, as many have discovered, those with a leak of just a few pounds, over say week to 10 days, are very difficult to locate the leak even when submerged in water.

I had a tire on a tandem disk that leaked at the seam where the 2 halves of the wheel had been welded together.

Attachments

• Tire model  A 4-22-10.jpg
    Tire model A 4-22-10.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 27

RDA.Lawns

Threads
My Kubota tractor leaks air on right rear wheel where the lugs are welded to the wheel. Took me a month to find that leak.