need to drive steel shaft 1"from electric motor and pulley

greenwing

Threads
  • / need to drive steel shaft 1"from electric motor and pulley
Have you seen YouTube concrete lathe? He's still getting it tuned up,the bearings he used are suspect,and more bugs to kill.for me ,i never used a lathe, but life is getting shorter,and the few jobs I would do .don't justify big cash outlay.dont have to be perfect,but it has to run at low speed for saftey,it is not for production just one offs,for me ,here in ct machine tooling etc is sold at basement clearing prices at local flea mkt,not whole machines though ,still premium prices.so for 200 bucs est.I'm ok with it.thanks for good advice.your absolutely right.?

Jack17

Threads
I see what you're saying. I'm skeptical about your budget. May I suggest for light woodworking, polishing things; etc...this "bad boy" for about $220.
image_23567.jpg

But if you're willing to invest about $600...you could be sailing with this beast!!!
image_11832.jpg

Pumper54

Threads
Greenwing,

I see what you are trying to do and trust me, I have been there, done that. Do you have a drill press by any chance? I have turned a few small items both in wood and metal using my drill press as a "vertical lathe". Basically I needed to reduce the outside diameter of the object or cut grooves in them so I chucked up the piece and turned on the drill press set at the slowest speed and went at the part with rasps, files and sand paper. I never had to support the bottom end of the pieces as they were fairly short but I think you could add a "tail stock" to the drill press table if needed.
Tom

greenwing

Threads
Yes I have a 15" floor d.p.tried milling with a piece of aluminum plate few years ago to make lead mold for L shape decoy weights,wow do not try it quill dropped out many times! That's verticle only.

greenwing

Threads
snapshot lathe.jpgthis is machine,cast in concrete ,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cast in concrete by a person with no understanding of materials science
Getting that set up true would be a very difficult task.
Keeping it that way impossible.
Concrete changes dimensions over time. it is not stable.
The head stock will crumble from the vibrations caused by turning anything that is not perfectly round.
It is an idiot idea that could have the operator spending a long holiday in a hospital.
The end product would be lucky if it was as accurate as a junk Chinese lathe from HF .
The USA is awash with good used lathes.