need to drive steel shaft 1"from electric motor and pulley

greenwing

Threads
  • / need to drive steel shaft 1"from electric motor and pulley
any one use a set of trailer hubs and bearings set up so hubs are fixed in place,and steel shaft turns by 1/2 hp motor ?

Jack17

Threads
Sure. Almost any lawn tractor uses this set up. Rear wheels of a tractor are fixed to shaft thru a key that keeps it all together. Engine keeps the tranny going that keeps the diff going and that powers the shaft that keeps the wheels go around and around.:wink:

Pumper54

Threads
Greenwing,
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do but as Jack said that is pretty much how many mowers are run. How are you applying the power from the motor to the shaft, via a fixed pulley, direct drive or some other way. What are you trying to do over all as you might use pillow block bearings to support the axle shaft just in borad of the wheel hubs.
Tom

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the max rpm allowable of the tapered roller bearing before getting into this too far. You may or may not need a serious rpm reduction.

greenwing

Threads
its for a concrete lathe i saw on you tube,the example made used cheaper flange bearings,the shaft will have a key cut for a pulley,the other end needs attachment to a chuck,and some way to preload the bearings since there will be no threads to use castle nut.

Jack17

Threads
I figured that you gonna build some kind of lathe or a conveyor. Don't waste your time on this one! Garbage in - garbage out. If you need a lathe...get yourself a real lathe.

greenwing

Threads
So I guess my next question will be what is best bb gun?and I'll shoot my eye out?

greenwing

Threads
Forgot to say lol!?

Jack17

Threads
So I guess my next question will be what is best bb gun?and I'll shoot my eye out?

When you say "lathe" I'm thinking precision. You are willing to spent all that time building frame, pouring concrete, somehow encrusting two perfectly good bearings into concrete slab, modifying axle, installing some sort of gear reduction box; etc, etc...and at the end you gonna be very disappointed with its performance.

I meant no disrespect in previous reply and wish you best of luck...what I'm saying: maybe you should reconsider?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remington makes a good BB gun. LOL