wazman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, Fellow Mowers.
Joined this group out of curiosity and the need for some information on mower repair.
I have a 3-year old Ariens 42" riding mower whose transmission decided it didn't want to work no more (warranty period was three years . . . imagine that!).
Anyway, a repair shop wanted $800 to replace it and it didn't cost too much more than that so I wasn't ready to slam the check down.
I found a video for troubleshooting and was wondering if anyone else may have experienced anything similar. Maybe I could gain some knowledge before diving in.

Thanks for reading.
Wazman

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
"didn't want to work no more" is a little to vague to help with. How about a detailed description of what happened. Model number for parts look up.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Gravely/Ariens section.

wazman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the lack of info. I noticed for a week or so that it was getting a little harder each time to put the gear lever in either forward/reverse. It would take some extra pressure but it would go into gear. Probably should have seen this as a warning sign but just thought it was being stubborn. Then it would not go in reverse at all even with a good deal of pressure. As i was riding back to the storage shed, it stopped going into either gear. But when in neutral, it creeps forward just a little. I have read where it could be clippings in the way of the lever on the tranny, but I haven't taken the battery off yet to check anything.
The pull-pin at the rear for disengaging transmission works OK.

Model # off of sticker 960460054 01 but Ariens site says it should be converted for some reason to 936073.
I believe it is a RS 800 SD-F transmission by General Transmissions.

That's about all the info I have.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like a nice place for grass and dirt to collect. I would check that first and let us know what you find.