Allthumb; new member

Allthumb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Read your threads all the time.they have been helpful many times. I've read many threads on ignition switches but I have a Wheelhorse that I cannot find the correct ignition switch for.It is 1991 244-5 model#22-14o501 serial number 1021401any help would be welcome

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
looks like a std 5 pin 3 position switch to me
Stens 430-136

Check yours against the new one to make sure the wires are in the correct position in the plug before you plug it in.
On the underside of the plug are tiny letters
S = Start Tan wire starter solenoid via PTO & Brake
M = Magneto colour not listed, might be dark blue.
G = Ground Black wire
B = Battery Red wire power feed to swtch
L = Lights Orange wire ( also running power )

Off = M + G
On = B + L
Start = B + L + S

Double check the magneto wire never gets voltage or you will fry the control chip.
To do this remove the blower housing and hook up a test lamp between the magneto kill wire and ground.
Sit in the seat turn the key to all positions, PTO on PTO off , brake on brake off & sitting in the seat out of seat.

Allthumb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick response problem is there was no ignition switch in the tractor when I got it but with the information you posted I think I can figure it out now thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only about a dozen switches used on ride ons ( thank heaven ) , and all of them are wired the same.
Pull the wires out and have a good look at the plug.
Take a photo if you need to.
Most of the aftermarket switches will have a photo of the backside of the switch which should be a mirror image of your plug.

Toro have their wiring diagrams available on line.
If you go to the Toro web page > support > manuals then type in your numbers.
The electrical manual is listed as a service manual.
Some one with a sense of humour named them "Demystifaction Guide"

If the plug fits but the wires look wrong, get back & I will show you how to move them around.
Do not cut & join wires.

Allthumb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you again for your help after reading your post I checked the ignition switch I was using and it does not check out think I'll try a new ignition switch thanks again

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Wheelhorse section.