Leaking Fuel Tank on Riding Mower

Tejass

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 1990 Murray riding mower with a leaking fuel tank. I don't want to buy another of the same tanks because they were under recall for this problem.

I would like to find a rectangular tank of the appropriate size to retrofit to the mower. Question is, has anyone done this or know of the right size tank or know of an outfit that sells various size fuel tanks for lawn equipment?

It will be a very simple retrofit because the side mounting walls are vertical. I can easily make a "shelf" between these walls to sit the new tank on.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Malcolm

NorthBama

Threads
pictures of tank?

Tejass

Forum Newbie
Threads
No pictures sorry. It's a rectangular tank, approximately 12"w X 9" d X 6" tall with two molded screw bosses on the lower half of each sides.

NorthBama

Threads
I will check my bone yard inventory

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've got a 1990 Murray riding mower with a leaking fuel tank. I don't want to buy another of the same tanks because they were under recall for this problem.
I would like to find a rectangular tank of the appropriate size to retrofit to the mower. Question is, has anyone done this or know of the right size tank or know of an outfit that sells various size fuel tanks for lawn equipment?
It will be a very simple retrofit because the side mounting walls are vertical. I can easily make a "shelf" between these walls to sit the new tank on.
Malcolm

You can get it welded after all it is now 26 years old so it has had a good run.
Look up plastic welders.
There are a lot of them out there now that bumpers on cars and fairings on motorcycles are plastic .

mrstan

Threads

Malcolm

I'm not sure if you've already worked with this and finished, but I made a good pic Torio on the site hear about how to repair plastic gas tank on lawnmowers. You might look it up and see what you think. It's a very simple process and it's permanent. It's an actual bonding of a A plastic patch to your tank using items around your house in conjunction with a heat gun. Look it up and see what you think. Or use the donut hole in my tank that was about 3 mm in size and it worked perfect. I'm not sure if that will help you or not but give it a try and see what you think. You have nothing to lose.