HRR216 loose belt

twinsinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
11-2016 079.jpg

I have a Honda Twin Blade Advantage HRR216 9KVA 3 in 1 system mower. It does not self propel anymore. It seems that my belt is awful loose. I was going to try to replace it but i cannot figure out how to remove the black cover to see the transmission. I have a picture of my type of mower underneath. I have searched all over for this type for help and no luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks - I know next to nothing and was trying to repair via you tube.:confused2:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like your spring came off. Circled in red.
honda.jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
I have 2 of these mowers, use them all the time. The spring looks just fine to me, there isn't really any room for it to come off anyway.

Before you try taking the belt off, try adjusting the belt tension - procedure is in your owners manual. If you don't have the manual I can take a picture of mine :thumbsup:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 30546

I have a Honda Twin Blade Advantage HRR216 9KVA 3 in 1 system mower. It does not self propel anymore.

The '9' in the model name means it is a K9 (version code) model, which has a slip-belt design transmission. The belt should be a bit loose, and when you operate the SmartDrive control, you are rotating the transmission, which causes the belt to tighten around the engine's pulley and in the input pulley on the transmission. Have a helper fully engage the SmartDrive control and the belt should be snug. If it is still loose, then the cable can be adjusted.

Related, Honda did issue a Service Bulletin back in April of 2015 where the belt would come off the engine pulley, often due to light debris (sticks, pine cones, etc.). Honda redesigned the pulley and belt guide to resolve the problem. The updated pulley has a deeper groove, so the belt rides deeper, and the belt guard shape was revised as well.

The updated pulley and guard were applied to production model HRR2169VKA models starting with serial number MZCG-9370838.

Drop me a private message with your email, and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin; it's got nice photos and procedure on how to get to the belt. Include the serial number of your mower, and I can check on its warranty status. It came with a 3-year warranty, BTW, and if still active, and a dealer determines your mower has this issue, repairs would be covered under warranty.

twinsinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
The '9' in the model name means it is a K9 (version code) model, which has a slip-belt design transmission. The belt should be a bit loose, and when you operate the SmartDrive control, you are rotating the transmission, which causes the belt to tighten around the engine's pulley and in the input pulley on the transmission. Have a helper fully engage the SmartDrive control and the belt should be snug. If it is still loose, then the cable can be adjusted.

Related, Honda did issue a Service Bulletin back in April of 2015 where the belt would come off the engine pulley, often due to light debris (sticks, pine cones, etc.). Honda redesigned the pulley and belt guide to resolve the problem. The updated pulley has a deeper groove, so the belt rides deeper, and the belt guard shape was revised as well.

The updated pulley and guard were applied to production model HRR2169VKA models starting with serial number MZCG-9370838.

Drop me a private message with your email, and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin; it's got nice photos and procedure on how to get to the belt. Include the serial number of your mower, and I can check on its warranty status. It came with a 3-year warranty, BTW, and if still active, and a dealer determines your mower has this issue, repairs would be covered under warranty.

Thanks so much for the info. i finally got the shroud cover off and everything looks good. see my pics. the belt is alittle loose but seems to tighten when i push the lever on the handle. spring is attached. not sure what it is now. any insight to what is wrong? when i lifted the back end up and pushed the lever for it to self propel the wheels would move but barely. ugh i am stumped. one yr old!!

Attachments

• 12-2 011.jpg
    12-2 011.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 12-2 010.jpg
    12-2 010.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 45

twinsinpa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow the cable adjustment procedure on pages 13 and 14 of your operator's manual: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VL0N030.pdf

ok i think i fixed it - it seems i wasnt pressing the handle thing down far enuf for the wheels to go. so i adjust the handle thing farther up so its easier to press down farther - if u know what i mean. and that works fine. and i wud be fine with. altho i was going to try what you suggested but in the manual it starts with pulling backwards to check wheel resistance - but i cant cuz they lock up immeidately. now i am not sure how to adjust the smart drive cable since i dont have a starting place. what to do now that my rear wheels lock up immediately? everything all clean-no obstructuions.