Simplicity Prestige 4 wheel drive Steering

gmash1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone out there confirm what hole on the steering bracket the power steering cylinder should be mounted to? I bought a used 2010 Simlicity Prestige 4 wheel drive last year. This year the steering bolt on the bracket broke off. I replaced it and it swiftly broke again. After further inspection I noticed the boll joint was bent and wore badly. One thing I noticed on all of this when ordering new parts the parts diagram shows the bolt going through the front hole not the center hole I found mine mounted in. So I talked with my dealer about this and they are less than knowledgeable, but they told me the diagram is just a general representation and could go in either hole depending on how its set up. Anyway I tried it in the front hole but it defiantly limits the amount it can steer now. Is there anyone out there with one of these that can tell me which hole this should be mounted in? Thanks!
IMG_1176[1].jpg

IMG_1175[1].jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut & install in center hole where it was previously mounted.

gmash1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again Mark, You sound pretty confident On this? So the parts diagram must be wrong. The center hole seams to be the better choice. Already have a grade 10 CAT bolt in there and beefed up that bracket because the Chinese steel cracks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good deal! Yes I had a problem with deck idler arm mount bolt 3/8 grade 5 stretching & warping, thus breaking top idler arm. My son & I drilled deck & bushings to 7/16 installed a grade 8 bolt with shoulder & self locking nut to remedy problem.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The thing to think about with placement would be that the hydraulic cylinders would have to travel at different speeds and distance to work if any other hole except the center hole is used.

gmash1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the problem with the center hole is I think there is too much stroke on the cylinder. I set it up to hit against the stop on the left side and then it turns way to far to the right to the point it wants to peel the tire off. SO I back I centered it so there was equal stroke in both directions, and then it hits the stop and there is still stroke left. So I believe then someone keep pulling on the steering wheel and this causes the bolt to shear off. There is a allot of stress on that entire bracket. I agree with you all that hole makes the most sense. I'm going to put it back in the center hole and try it a while like that.