Toro Super Recycler do I need the mulch plug????

Robshonda

Threads
I just realized that on this used mower I got, I have no mulch plug...I see that one is available #59135.
I saw one inserted into the bagger chute in a youtube video...Does it help a lot to use it?
In the manual for my mower (a 1999 model) it never mentions the work mulch or mulch plug....
I see some that just had a metal cover with no bag chute and were meant just for mulching..
That metal cover is mentioned in the manual but I dont have one...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19

primerbulb120

Threads
Use the mower without it and see what happens. :smile: If it spits grass clippings out the discharge door, you'll want a mulch plug for it.

Robshonda

Threads
I have tried it and it does have a door that shuts on the chute. It does mulch. Question is how much better does it mulch with the plug in there. It looks like it has a small "kicker" on the bottom to help recirculate the clippings. Need to find out from someone who has a SUper Recycler and used it both ways...

primerbulb120

Threads
I have 1 Super Recycler and 2 Recyclers, but none of them are similar to yours.:rolleyes:

Robshonda

Threads
Thanks Primer bulb, I know the Super is much better built than the Recycler. I had a recycler and used it hard for about 7 years, then the transmission went out and bought a Honda HRX217 mower. The old recycler did a great job mulching grass and leaves.I just picked up the Super recycler to see if it was at least as good as the recycler was at mulching. Which recycler mower do you prefer since you have both of them, your the man to ask! I will see if I can get a mulch plug at a couple of my local mower places just to try it.

Thanks
Rob

primerbulb120

Threads
Not sure if I am the right person to ask, but here's the info I can give you:

- Super Recycler is a 20054 model with a Briggs engine. I used it for a few years, but I didn't mulch many leaves with it (my yard doesn't get covered in leaves.) Right now it's sitting unused in a corner of my shed.
- Recycler #1 was given to me by a friend from church. It has a Tecumseh engine. Runs good but I haven't used it yet because the blade needs replacing and I don't have a new one.
- Recycler #2 was sitting out by the road, I picked it up and brought it home. Has a Briggs engine. It won't start, so needless to say I haven't used it.

I hate the Toro Personal Pace drive system, so I got a Honda instead. It cut horrible, so I put a G6 Gator blade on it and now it cuts and mulches better than any mower I've ever used.

Hopefully you can find someone who's used enough Toros to make a proper comparison. :rolleyes:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those Toro models were made for many years and if they came with a mulch plug or not depended on the model and year. The only way to tell is to look up your specific unit. Please post the model and serial numbers for your unit and someone will be able to tell you whether you need one or not. I am not going to help you for the next few days, as it is hunting season here, which comes before work. Should be back Sunday if no one else replies.

Robshonda

Threads
Not sure if I am the right person to ask, but here's the info I can give you:

- Super Recycler is a 20054 model with a Briggs engine. I used it for a few years, but I didn't mulch many leaves with it (my yard doesn't get covered in leaves.) Right now it's sitting unused in a corner of my shed.
- Recycler #1 was given to me by a friend from church. It has a Tecumseh engine. Runs good but I haven't used it yet because the blade needs replacing and I don't have a new one.
- Recycler #2 was sitting out by the road, I picked it up and brought it home. Has a Briggs engine. It won't start, so needless to say I haven't used it.

I hate the Toro Personal Pace drive system, so I got a Honda instead. It cut horrible, so I put a G6 Gator blade on it and now it cuts and mulches better than any mower I've ever used.

Hopefully you can find someone who's used enough Toros to make a proper comparison. :rolleyes:

Thanks, sounds like you should just find homes for the Toros and stick with the Honda. I like the Personal Pace system, mine lasted thru a LOT of mowing. I would replace the drive gears every couple years with normal maintenance. Never gave any trouble until the trans went out. I bought a Honda HRX217 I dont like the cut on tall fescue with that upper blade on it. I remove it and just use the lower blade and it works better. Now since you were able to get a Gator blade for your Honda, I would love to do that but I thought they did not make them for my machine. Your blade should be the same as what I need, do you have a part number for it?

primerbulb120

Threads
Thanks, sounds like you should just find homes for the Toros and stick with the Honda. I like the Personal Pace system, mine lasted thru a LOT of mowing. I would replace the drive gears every couple years with normal maintenance. Never gave any trouble until the trans went out. I bought a Honda HRX217 I dont like the cut on tall fescue with that upper blade on it. I remove it and just use the lower blade and it works better. Now since you were able to get a Gator blade for your Honda, I would love to do that but I thought they did not make them for my machine. Your blade should be the same as what I need, do you have a part number for it?

You're right, Oregon does not make Gator blades for either the HRR or HRX series mowers. I made a workaround to use a Gator blade intended for a Toro mower. I'll post in detail about it later, have to take some pictures so it will make sense.:wink:

Robshonda

Threads
Re: Gator blade on Honda mower???

Was wondering if you were gonna share your mod to a gator blade to fit Honda mowers???
Thanks
Rob