Lawn Boy I D

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you L B enthusiasts call this one. I'm sure it has a name besides just Lawn Boy.:laughing:

The front wheel in the picture is incorrect.

Attachments

• Lawn Boy 2016 .JPG
    Lawn Boy 2016 .JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Lawnboy77

Threads
That looks to be a 1977 model 5084, it's basically the same as the model 5024 that was produced from around 1975 to 1981, except for the orange "Bricktop" shroud. It's a fairly rare one since most of the Lawnboys with orange shrouds were commercial units, as far as I know this one was the only residential 19 incher that came with the orange shroud. These were some of the best "Bricktops" ever made in my opinion.
Here is a pic of my restored 1977 model 5024, the same mower as the 5084, except different color shroud and flywheel cover.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Correct, I got to the barn and found the label.

Attachments

• Lawn Boy lable - 2016.JPG
    Lawn Boy lable - 2016.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 14

2smoked

Threads
That's a sweet find. LB77, I did not know that Lawn Boy made any orange shrouded, non-commercial bricktops. Good information to store in the Lawn Boy compartment in my cranium.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks to be a 1977 model 5084, it's basically the same as the model 5024 that was produced from around 1975 to 1981, except for the orange "Bricktop" shroud. It's a fairly rare one since most of the Lawnboys with orange shrouds were commercial units, as far as I know this one was the only residential 19 incher that came with the orange shroud. These were some of the best "Bricktops" ever made in my opinion.
Here is a pic of my restored 1977 model 5024, the same mower as the 5084, except different color shroud and flywheel cover.

beautiful restoration !!!!!

Lawnboy77

Threads
Thanks Senior! It's almost original, except for the crankcase having the dual bronze bushings in the lower end...during the restore I noticed that the lower end of the crank had more play than what I was comfortable with so I bought an NOS C-19 short block and an NOS D series crank to reset the "Hobbs meter" on this one, basically I built a commercial D-476 short block. The larger green plastic intake is not really original either, or at least it doesn't show up in the parts catalogue, but the dealers in 1977 must of been putting those on their bricktops because the new 21 inch that my father bought had the large green plastic intake installed. In my opinion the large plastic intakes are a bit more user friendly than the small aluminum ones with the metal screen. I also replaced the entire handle and all the wheels and adjuster mounts with OEM parts, that's the reason that some of the parts are painted, or powder coated black. The upper handle was the only thing that came in the original chrome, plus the upper handle must of been dual purpose because it came with a hole in it for what I would guess would be for a throttle. Currently I don't think you can even buy handles for a 5024, or mid 70's pusher. I was amazed though later when I did the restore on my 1964 brick that they still had the lower handles for those first gen D-400 bricks, I did buy one and judging from the tags and packing, it was an original leftover from back in the day...I kinda felt like I was opening a time capsule. Alright sorry I went a little overboard on this post, I just love these old machines, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Senior! It's almost original, except for the crankcase having the dual bronze bushings in the lower end...during the restore I noticed that the lower end of the crank had more play than what I was comfortable with so I bought an NOS C-19 short block and an NOS D series crank to reset the "Hobbs meter" on this one, basically I built a commercial D-476 short block. The larger green plastic intake is not really original either, or at least it doesn't show up in the parts catalogue, but the dealers in 1977 must of been putting those on their bricktops because the new 21 inch that my father bought had the large green plastic intake installed. In my opinion the large plastic intakes are a bit more user friendly than the small aluminum ones with the metal screen. I also replaced the entire handle and all the wheels and adjuster mounts with OEM parts, that's the reason that some of the parts are painted, or powder coated black. The upper handle was the only thing that came in the original chrome, plus the upper handle must of been dual purpose because it came with a hole in it for what I would guess would be for a throttle. Currently I don't think you can even buy handles for a 5024, or mid 70's pusher. I was amazed though later when I did the restore on my 1964 brick that they still had the lower handles for those first gen D-400 bricks, I did buy one and judging from the tags and packing, it was an original leftover from back in the day...I kinda felt like I was opening a time capsule. Alright sorry I went a little overboard on this post, I just love these old machines, hope everyone is having a great weekend!
I love reading about the old rebuilds. Thanks