20 HP COMMAND PRO WON'T START AFTER SITTING 3-4 DAYS

NORMKENN

Threads
Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model No. 917.273480
Kohler Engine Model: CV624-65578 Twin V 20 HP

Engine will not start after sitting for 3-4 days without first introducing propane into the carburetor. Cold engine will start after three or four attempts to crank it for up to about 4 days of sitting, after that, it refuses to start until I feed propane to it. Once it starts the first time, it will fire up immediately on subsequent attempts. After starting, the engine runs great – smooth with good power. It appears to me that the engine is not getting any fuel when it refuses to start. Tractor is approximately 15-years old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NORMKENN

Threads

Mechanic Mark, Thank you for your reply. I had already decided that I would clean and rebuild the carburetor. I was hoping to gain an understanding of specifically what is wrong with the carburetor that is causing the problem, i.e., Is gas leaking from the carburetor bowl, if so where is the gas going - it is not leaking externally? Is there some other problem with the carburetor that causes this problem? I would like to know what to look for as I am cleaning and rebuilding the carb. I always like to know the failure mode on things that I repair. Thanks again, Norm