Repairs John Deere 115 Automatic Rebuild

mrstan

Threads
Hi guys,
I bought a 115 automatic which was a litttle rough looking, but it runs very well. I took it upon myself to completely rebuild this little guy from the ground up and try to be as cost conscious as possible. If everyone is interested, I will post lots of pictures of my progress as well as some comments of issues I came across while reassembling the crazy guy.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know if everyone is interested but I am in hopes some of the old tractor information will pertain to my old worn out body and I can benefit from reading a good rebuild story.:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi guys,
I bought a 115 automatic which was a litttle rough looking, but it runs very well. I took it upon myself to completely rebuild this little guy from the ground up and try to be as cost conscious as possible. If everyone is interested, I will post lots of pictures of my progress as well as some comments of issues I came across while reassembling the crazy guy.

GREAT pics you post... I have a leaking gas tank on a 25 year old brushcutter that is fantastic except for the impossible to replace tank. I have the info on doing the repair but found your pics to further inspire me to get on with it. I have a soldering iron type tool I bought for the repair but now I wonder if the heat-gun may be better suited , I have the exact same type as in your pics . Keep up the nice work and by all means ..PLEASE ... keep those pics coming, I like the paint job on your J-D too !! :thumbsup: ..Boobala

mrstan

Threads
GREAT pics you post... I have a leaking gas tank on a 25 year old brushcutter that is fantastic except for the impossible to replace tank. I have the info on doing the repair but found your pics to further inspire me to get on with it. I have a soldering iron type tool I bought for the repair but now I wonder if the heat-gun may be better suited , I have the exact same type as in your pics . Keep up the nice work and by all means ..PLEASE ... keep those pics coming, I like the paint job on your J-D too !! :thumbsup: ..Boobala

My advice is not to use a soldering iron. The soldering iron will oxidize the plastic and make it brittle if it doesn't disintegrate it at all. What I learned is if you see smoke it's too hot and it's not doing good. Using the heat gun you actually make the plastic pliable and it becomes GUI so that it will stick to the patch material. In the pictures I posted I used an alcohol bottle because it's the same kind of plastic. A milk carton is the same plastic but it seems to be a thinner material. Take a piece and make it match, but if it's too thin you might need to have several layers on top of each other.
A heat gun is very cheap to buy, and it can be used for other things to such is loosening a stubborn bolts which he will cause it to loosen up, and other things. If you don't have a heat gun, it's a good idea to have one in your arsenal.

mrstan

Threads
I don't know if everyone is interested but I am in hopes some of the old tractor information will pertain to my old worn out body and I can benefit from reading a good rebuild story.:laughing:

There seems to be a limit on the number of pictures I can upload, something like a quota. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but I'll try to post more pictures. I've made my rebuild project into two parts, the main tractor and the mower deck. I've taken a lot of pictures through the process, but I can only upload a few at a time. I'll try to stream them on as I can with some narration is what's going on. I wish there wasn't such a quota on the number of pictures you can upload though.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With so many pictures, please add a description to each.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
There seems to be a limit on the number of pictures I can upload, something like a quota. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but I'll try to post more pictures. I've made my rebuild project into two parts, the main tractor and the mower deck. I've taken a lot of pictures through the process, but I can only upload a few at a time. I'll try to stream them on as I can with some narration is what's going on. I wish there wasn't such a quota on the number of pictures you can upload though.

Check my albums.... I uploaded many pics at a time ..... I don't remember for sure how many I did upload at one time , I think its not the amount of pics but the size of them . I use my pics as a reference ... taking many pics during tear-down then re-assembly, my own pics become my manuals which saved me a lot of headaches especially for spring locations and attaching points (actually there are no service manuals for Murray mowers other than minor adjustments in the owners guides ) .See my attachment for RE-sizing photos ... works great !!

..........http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7784/how-to-resize-your-photos-the-easy-way/

This also works great for sending pics in your e-mails, ........Later my friend .... :thumbsup: Boobala