Kohler or Kawasaki

brck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I am considering buying a Cub XT2 LX42 rider. I'll be putting about 60 hrs a year on it. The Kohler model is a 22hp twin cylinder at $1,800. They offer a 18hp Kawasaki at $2.300. Is it worth paying an extra $500 for a Kaw engine? How bad can the Kohler twin possibly be? I should think it should be problem free for 600 hrs providing that it' s properly maintained. What are your thought? Thanks for your help.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
There is 2 ways to look at this. Both motors should offer you many years of trouble free service. Its logical the 18 will have to work a bit harder than the 22 . Also the 22 will possibly use a little more fuel. Long after warranty is gone and you have to buy parts the Kawasaki parts are expensive. I would go with the bigger engine. I've had both through the years. My fav is Kohler . I have a zmaster with over 1300 hours on a cv730 Kohler. Had a Kawasaki that blew up at 675 hours . Others will have different thoughts so best of luck and remember with good service and TLC you should never have to worry about the engine before the rest of the mower falls apart in residential use. You said about 60 hours a year I put about 55 a week on my mowers in the summer.

brck

Forum Newbie
Threads
The used model is a 2013 LTX 1042 Kawasaki. The current Cub model is a XT2 LX 42 LE Kawasaki

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The XT2-LX42 LE Kawasaki is a limited edition model and no longer in production but still available.
Current XT2 tractors are all Kohler powered.
In the aftermarket of repower/replacement engines, Kawasaki FR, FS and FX engines are priced much higher than other comparable engines from Kohler and Briggs.
The CC XT2 Kawasaki powered tractor uses an FR series engine.
Kawasaki engines are HP rated using a different standard from Kohler and Briggs engines and this is why the difference in HP numbers on similar displacement engines from these manufacturers.
A dealer could have two identical machines side by side in the showroom, the one with a lower HP rating is $500 more than the other with a higher HP rating. This makes the more expensive machine difficult to sell.
A few thoughts:smile:

brck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Mad Mackie,

Thanks for the info.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello everyone. I am considering buying a Cub XT2 LX42 rider. I'll be putting about 60 hrs a year on it. The Kohler model is a 22hp twin cylinder at $1,800. They offer a 18hp Kawasaki at $2.300. Is it worth paying an extra $500 for a Kaw engine? How bad can the Kohler twin possibly be? I should think it should be problem free for 600 hrs providing that it' s properly maintained. What are your thought? Thanks for your help.

I've run both Kohler and Kawasaki engines and there both a good engine, personally I'd go with the Kawasaki engine. You may want to do a search and check out the forum for further information but I think the Kohler in that cub is that 7000 series and it wasn't that long ago they were having issues with that engine. There was several on the forum that were posting about the issues. Something to do with the engine heating up and shutting down in like 20 minutes.