Engine john deere 316

edw1267

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 316 Deere with Onan motor that I just picked up the other day and have 2 problems with it. First is it runs ok at 1\4 throttle but when I turn up throttle the engine revs up so much it sounds like it going to blow. Second is the mower deck wont go up or down but the rear assembly works on it. Can anyone help me?

JD318420

Threads
Check for missing links pieces, or the deck not installed correctly. Speed of engine at idle is: 1390 RPM, at Wide open throttle (WOT) is 3450 RPM, the engines top speed with governor kicking in because of load is 3600 RPM. IF you can not dial it in, then the governor needs to be check out. But check to see if links are in the correct holes for the governor.

Also check throttle cable hookup on the governor and the end support clip is correct.

Get a copy of the technical/service manual TM1590 and the engine manual CTM2

edw1267

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks mechanic mark for the link..I am new to the forum and the John Deere family. I hope this 316 turns out to be a good unit. I here good and bad things about the 316. If I had the money I would of got the 318. Or the one with a Kohler motor.

edw1267

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my idle problems .I looked at the givener and that was the problem. The rod was in the wrong hole on lever. It now runs like brand new and I just pickes up a Snowblower for 500 dollars. It was very easy to put on and works great. I have 1200 into it and feel it was worth every penny. Thanks again

JD318420

Threads
You are welcome! That is what these forums are for. The onans are great engines. All things need, is the proper maintenance and or fixes applied. You got a great machine.:thumbsup:

Craftsman Garage

Threads
You are welcome! That is what these forums are for. The onans are great engines. All things need, is the proper maintenance and or fixes applied. You got a great machine.?
bruh, those engines suck