Oil consideration

stevestd

Threads
Don't know much about oil but it never mechanically breaks down; unless of course it gets contamination which is every engine I know with moving parts.

TonyPrin

Threads
Don't know much about oil but it never mechanically breaks down; unless of course it gets contamination which is every engine I know with moving parts.

All motor oils break down under use in an engine. This is technically referred to as degradation: the alteration of the oil's fundamental chemistry. One simple example is an engine that "burns" oil in which the oil literally burns up. Motor oil, reacting to heat, pressure and/or oxidation separates with the ash content creating sludge and other deposits. In addition, viscosity of the oil deteriorates over time. Beyond that, additives in the oil loose their ability to provide benefits.

This applies to both conventional motor oils and synthetics. Of course it takes synthetics longer to break down for several reasons including that their ash content is significantly lower.

Having said all that, though, this is a lawn mower forum. In the case of mowers and other small engines, motor oil is less likely to break down from non-commercial use. In those cases, oil changes are more dictated by contamination than motor oil break down.

Last edited:

gnm109

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just saw this thread. I have two Honda H1011 Harmony riding mowers. The owner's manual for this machne says to use 10w-30 Service SH or SJ. It also specifies an oil change every 3 months or 20 hours use. That's about what I've been doing and both mowers have been running fine - one since 1993 and the other since 2001.

As mentioned below, making sure that your mower has some oil and changing it on schedule is just as important as the exact grade. It works for me.

TonyPrin

Threads
I have two Honda H1011 Harmony riding mowers. The owner's manual for this machne says to use 10w-30 Service SH or SJ.

That's interesting SH is an obsolete oil, making it available but not always easy to find. I believe SJ is still a current oil, primarily for use in 1993-96 vehicles.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's interesting SH is an obsolete oil, making it available but not always easy to find. I believe SJ is still a current oil, primarily for use in 1993-96 vehicles.

FYI, the Honda H1011 riding mower was introduced in 1993, and discontinued by 1999.

TonyPrin

Threads
FYI, the Honda H1011 riding mower was introduced in 1993, and discontinued by 1999.

Well that explains it. Are you sure your mower can't use SL or SM oil without an issue? SL and SM category oils were introduced in 2001 and 2004, respectively. So, it stands to reason your manual wouldn't say these oils are for use in your mower because they didn't exist when your manual was printed.

In the case of vehicles, the American Petroleum Institute says SL and SM "may be used where API Service Category SJ and earlier categories are recommended". My guess is that the same applies to Honda mowers. Consider contacting Honda to find out. It could make it easier and cheaper to find oil.

BTW, the same may apply to SN, but I'm far les certain.

gnm109

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that explains it. Are you sure your mower can't use SL or SM oil without an issue? SL and SM category oils were introduced in 2001 and 2004, respectively. So, it stands to reason your manual wouldn't say these oils are for use in your mower because they didn't exist when your manual was printed.

In the case of vehicles, the American Petroleum Institute says SL and SM "may be used where API Service Category SJ and earlier categories are recommended". My guess is that the same applies to Honda mowers. Consider contacting Honda to find out. It could make it easier and cheaper to find oil.

BTW, the same may apply to SN, but I'm far les certain.

I'll be honest....I have no idea of the service level of the oil that I've been using for the last 22 years and 16 years respectively for the mowers. :ashamed:

I am certain that I always used 10w-30, however. The main thing is that I change the oil (1.1 quarts) frequently every so many hours, but even that is a guess.

IMHO, as long as you have some clean oil of the proper grade you're good to go. If I started worrying about the service level, i'd never get any mowing done. LOL.

Recently, when I was converting the newer mower over to standard shift from hydrostatic, I had the oil pan off to cure an oil leak and it sure looks nice in there. I guess what I've been doing is probably working. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll be honest....I have no idea of the service level of the oil that I've been using for the last 22 years and 16 years respectively for the mowers. :ashamed:

I am certain that I always used 10w-30, however. The main thing is that I change the oil (1.1 quarts) frequently every so many hours, but even that is a guess.

IMHO, as long as you have some clean oil of the proper grade you're good to go. If I started worrying about the service level, i'd never get any mowing done. LOL.

Recently, when I was converting the newer mower over to standard shift from hydrostatic, I had the oil pan off to cure an oil leak and it sure looks nice in there. I guess what I've been doing is probably working. :smile:

Spot on.
For home owners, an annual service BEFORE you bed the mower down for winter will keep in in tip top condition.
Included should be a thorough clean so you will notice loose bolts , cracks etc that can be remmied before the next mowing season

gnm109

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spot on.
For home owners, an annual service BEFORE you bed the mower down for winter will keep in in tip top condition.
Included should be a thorough clean so you will notice loose bolts , cracks etc that can be remmied before the next mowing season

That's excellent advice!

Additionally, my Honda mowers have an on-off petcock for the fuel feed right at the inlet to the carburetor. When I use the mower for the last time in a given year. I close the petcock and run the fuel out of the carburetor. It takes about 1-2 minutes and keeps the carburetor from gumming up. I also drain the fuel tank and use any remainder in my car. That way, when I use the mower again after putting in fresh fuel, it will start right up.

Another thing that I do is to connect a Battery Tender Jr. at all times when the mower is not in use. I like the Deltron Battery Tender Jr. because it has a maximum input current of 0.75 amps.The battery voltage will then float at between 12.9 and 13.2 VDC so that it's always hot and doesn't get a chance to sulfate. If you do that all the time, you can get 6 to 7 years out of a battery. The batteries that are in each of them at this time are over 4 years old right now. I buy the ones from Walmart and they last quite well if kept on tenders.

Happy Trails!