Kill switch question

Michigun

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here.

I'm building a sledding hill tow rope out of an old John Deere STX38. It's all set up and ready to go. I wired two kill switches (toggle switches) already. One at the bottom of the hill and one at the top near the STX38.

I am trying to figure out how to wire an extension cord that can be hung across (under) the rope near the top of the hill. If a kid doesn't let go in time, they get pulled through the extension cord. The M/F ends come apart and that kills the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I've done so far:

I used 16g wire threaded in through the spark plug boot (touching the spark plug). That wire comes out from the spark plug and I installed a toggle switch and mounted it near the mower at the top of the hill. I continued the 16g wire from that toggle switch all the way to the bottom of the hill where I wired another toggle switch. Then I ran the 16g wire back up the hill and grounded on the tractor (thus completing the loop).

The reason I want the extension cord "kill switch" is just as an added safety. For all the Safety Sally's out there, an adult will be out there at all times watching the kids.

Thanks for any input.