Jacking mower from rear to store for winter

577jersey

Threads
Been cutting grass professionally for 28 years and never jacked up a mower,are you worried about flat spots on the tires??If so just roll the mower 1ft in either direction once a month.
When I store my mowers I will treat whatever fuel there is in tank with Lucas Ethanol stabilizer,then Ill pinch off the vacuum or fuel line and run the bowl dry,then slap a tender on the battery.
Usually make sure the oil is on the clean side but not even that.

For my trimmers and blowers i just treated half of them with Lucas and ran it into the bowl,the other two got ran dry..this is the first time Im leaving fuel in a couple of my two strokes,Id like to see if that Lucas really works well on those type engines.

Here in jersey we usually finish up doing out last leaf blow in December,so about 4 months off 8 on.

I never go by any manufacturer recommendations for anything after warranty is up,,heck even before its up :)

577 and I’m out....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason we store our pulling tractor tires outside in a harsh environment is to make the rubber harder so they don't flex as much when pulling. This is also the reason we always buy used tires. The only reason I can think of to jack the tires off the ground on a lawn mower to keep the rubber soft and flexible so the tires last longer over many years of use. The mower will wear out before the tires????

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tire Dressings such as Armor-All will make tire rubber harder as well. Draws out the oils. But not water-based tire dressings.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Back in my race car days. I'd store my dirt track car on Jack stands under the frame. To allow the suspension to drop. With the racing shocks and the coil springs made them stay stiffer longer.

DK35vince

Threads
Seems like a ton of overkill to me. If the dang mower sits on its wheels 9 months out of the year why can't it another 3? I've never blocked a mower up in my life and never had a problem. I don't know ANYONE who does or has had a problem.
+1
I have never blocked a mower up over the winter. Don't really see the gain.
I bought a 1978 Wheel Horse garden tractor used back in 1986. Still have it, never been blocked up for decades with no issues.

Grass Whisper

Threads
Asked this same question in the past with the manual stating to "Store for long term" blah, blah......

You know what I ended up doing was just to start it up and let it heat up for a few minutes and move it out into the drive way then back in the garage. I did it about every 2 to 4 weeks. Probably not necessary after all but made me feel better.

For me its only a mild Florida winter all of about 3 months. I just like to keep things running and not to sit too long.:smile:

Datadave

Threads
Asked this same question in the past with the manual stating to "Store for long term" blah, blah......

You know what I ended up doing was just to start it up and let it heat up for a few minutes and move it out into the drive way then back in the garage. I did it about every 2 to 4 weeks. Probably not necessary after all but made me feel better.

For me its only a mild Florida winter all of about 3 months. I just like to keep things running and not to sit too long.:smile:

Same here
I use mine to pull a utility trailer around during the off season which is short here in Florida

RDA.Lawns

Threads
My stuff may get a month max of no use. I just park it all in the shop and forget it .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Woods 660 rear mount mower.

Believe it or not, I have taken to resting it on blocks to keep weight off the semi-pneumatic tires because they WERE getting flat spots.