STALLING PROBLEM WITH 8HP BRIGGS & STRATTON ENGINE

RONALD LECH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello:

The fuel filter is new and there is no fuel pump.

The engine starts easily and will idle with the choke fully closed. If the choke is cut back the engine stalls. If the throttle is opened more the 1/2 way the engine stalls (this is with the choke fully closed).

Any attempt to close the choke will cause it to stall. Also it will stall on its own if it runs for longer than 5 minutes.

The one time the plug was checked after a stall the plug was dry with moderate deep black carbon deposits.

The carburetor was cleaned and rebuilt about 6 months ago. It is a Flo-Jet , medium 2-piece.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what to try next.

Ron

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Ron & Welcome to LMF...
Those old carbs are GREAT...
Here is a good site for cleaning and SETTING the that carb...
Disassembly of Briggs and Stratton Medium Two-Piece Flo-jet Carburetor
If anything plugs the small holes in the emulsion tube, you will get what your having... need a lot of choke to pull enough fuel ...
Follow the directions for removing that tube, use a proper fitting screwdriver to reach in and remove the emulsion tube.... clean it out including the cross drilled holes... Tiny flakes of rust can block it...
If this is a continuing problem you may need to put a non restrictive filter or a sediment bowl on the fuel supply...
What is that engine on???
:smile:KennyV

RONALD LECH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Ken,

Thank you for taking to time to comment. I appreciate the information.

The engine runs a small pump on a 100 gal field sprayer.

I'll give you some follow up when I have time to work on the engine.

Cordially,
Ron

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup: