mower deck spindles

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I priced it out both ways overhaul or replace complete mandrel. The parts and labor to repair was more then replacing. Its a 1978 mower and anytime you need NOS parts that aren't made anymore and something that old you are going to pay the price. Restoring antiques isn't cheap and any business that sells these parts know this. I don't blame the parts business because this is their living. The customer who brought this repair to me just bought this mower without knowing what he was getting in to. He also doesn't realize or care how many hours I spent looking and calling for these parts.

And then he will go out & buy a Craftsman for $ 2000 and bitch they it only lasted 3 years.
The mindset of a lot of people is really sick.
When I am in this situation I come back with something along the lines.
Yeah really crap isn't it $ 500 repair after 37 years hell that works out at an outrageous $ 13.75 a year, no wonder they went broke.
No one can afford that I mean it works out at nearly 50c every time you mow.

Now most times this is in regards to repairing a 30-50 year old motorcycle.
3 out of 5 come back a little latter and get the job done.
The ones that don't are the shonks who thought they could buy a cheap lump of excrement polish it up and turn a massive profit.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
And then he will go out & buy a Craftsman for $ 2000 and bitch they it only lasted 3 years.
The mindset of a lot of people is really sick.
When I am in this situation I come back with something along the lines.
Yeah really crap isn't it $ 500 repair after 37 years hell that works out at an outrageous $ 13.75 a year, no wonder they went broke.
No one can afford that I mean it works out at nearly 50c every time you mow.

Now most times this is in regards to repairing a 30-50 year old motorcycle.
3 out of 5 come back a little latter and get the job done.
The ones that don't are the shonks who thought they could buy a cheap lump of excrement polish it up and turn a massive profit.

I have to agree with you on this. When I took the job on I thought it was a simple mower spindle bearing job. As my first post I had no idea what I had till I took it apart. Now it sits all apart in my shop and the customer wants his mower back in the same condition as it was in the first place. I hate doing work like that but it dose happen some times when they hear prices. I just have a problem charging for something I didn't repair as any repair shop would charge for labor anyways.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not to be a D***, but it wouldn't leave my place without a labor bill paid first. I'm not a charity, but do help when a need arises.