Echo brushcutter refurb parts and ideas

gkitf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, newcomer to the forums. Seeing some very knowledgeable info around the site, and thought it's time to get involved.

I'm working on some old commercial Echo brushcutters of a few model flavors. They are in need of the basics to begin with - fuel lines replacement kits, carb gasket rebuild kit, replace rotted-out primer bulbs, air filters. PartsTree seems to be a good source for OEM replacement stuff. What really freaked me out (until I realized why) was the seemingly ridiculous cost of a muffler. They actually have a mini catalytic converter in them. EPA won't leave us alone. I'm going to reuse old ones at that price. Don't suppose these any benefit to gutting them?

Also may need lube for the gear head, maybe bearings (?). That should do for most of them. Here's the models I'm working on.

2 SRM-400U's s/n 03003009 and 03003032
1 SRM-400 s/n 03003212
2 SRM-3800's s/n 005819 and 007726

2 of them run from a redneck quick cleanup. I'm amazed at how well the cylinders on these commercial units held up. Hard chromed bores survived in almost pristine condition. Night and day from garbage Ryobi Home Depot junk with plain bearings and raw aluminum cylinders, crap carbs.

In regard to replacing fuel lines and the grommet, I see "kits" that come with yellow (Tygon hopefully?...) and unknown material black fuel lines. I would like to use strictly Tygon yellow for all of them. Mostly for being able to see fuel flow, and durability. Is there a size difference between the 3 lines and fittings for these machines?

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, but I do enjoy making these things hum again, and these Echos are some of the best-built and hardy little beasts I've ever wrenched on.

gkitf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally decided which ones I'm going to restore. I've got an SRM 3800 Type 1E and an SRM 400U brushcutters, these are the commercial versions, over $650 new. Cylinders on these are hard chrome plated. They are both getting a carb rebuild, fuel lines, grommets, filters, etc. The throttle cables and trigger grips are in rough shape so they're getting re-done. I can't believe some of the prices of some of the parts though, not cheap to do this. As for the lines I'm going with Tygon over the black tubing Echo provides. The Echo fuel filters I gunked out of the tank were severely deteriorated, the metal base was dissolving and left smeared metal on my rag. No way I'm using that again at over $7 apiece! I can get 3 sizes 5 ft each of Tygon on Amazon for $3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7TK40...TF8&colid=2ML17QO1PJMGF&coliid=I1M9CDUGUI7U4D

and a pack of 5 fuel filters for $2.63
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GCZF87...TF8&colid=2ML17QO1PJMGF&coliid=I2YMO4BJSA3C2S

The rest I'm going with Ereplacementparts.com
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ec...t-shaft-trimmerparts-c-35043_35180_35499.html
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ec...-shaft-trimmer-parts-c-35043_35180_35539.html

upupandaway

Threads
is your motor and clutch like this:
dscn0248.jpgs-l1600.jpg

gkitf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Basically the same type, although that looks like a different model. Haven't messed with the clutch, but that looks like it

upupandaway

Threads
Red Max BC260DL-04/90 that is...

gkitf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I already purchased my repair parts, mostly Echo OEM. Carb kit, throttle cable, trigger, and some other bits. OMG are they expensive, $87 + shipping. Bought real Tygon fuel line + tank filter on Amazon, cost was insane. Original tank filter metal casting holding the filter had actually dissolved and was a mass of gunk. Cheap Chinese crap. Good things that makes the commercial models run so well - hard chromed cylinder bore and that rotary throttle-valve carb! Hate the butterfly plate throttle carbs, never seem to get them to work that well. But this one fired right up after sitting after 3 yrs covered with crud. Impressive. Complete rebuild and cleaned up now.