B&S Intek 24HP burning oil 446677 600 hours

ntonar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new here was looking for some help. My mower has been burning oil for two summers now and I am planing on fixing the issue. After talking to a small engine repair shop today they thought the engine was to young for the rings to go bad (600 hours). I was planning on replacing the rings and gaskets but after digging into the motor I am not sure if I should do everything. It looks like cylinder #1 is fine after pulling the plugs, I was hoping to get some feed back on what the problem might be.

Pics

Cylinder 1 plug

Cylinder 2 plug (yuck!)

Cylinder 2

Head on Cylinder 2

RDA.Lawns

Threads
All that junk on the cooling fin is a indication of a possible head gasket problem in that area. I'd try replacing the head gasket and see what happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would double up on that.
How did the head bolts feel on the duff cylinder, a little looser than the other side ?

ntonar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would double up on that.
How did the head bolts feel on the duff cylinder, a little looser than the other side ?

I only pulled the head off the cylinder that had the gunk filled plug. It was tight (a quick bump on a 3/8" ratchet. if one is looser than the other does that mean something?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I would clean the gunk of the head and valves. Clean the mating surface of the block and head well replace with a new head gasket and see how it dose.

Tinkerer200

Threads
You didn't show the under side of the head gasket. I find it is more common for a leak to be between the gasket and cylinder block.

Walt Conner

ntonar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaned the mating surfaces tonight, gaskets come tomorrow. I will follow up with the outcome. Thanks for the help!

ntonar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Head gasket, valve adjustment and valve gasket got done on cylinder #2. I figured I would adjust the valves on cylinder #1, on both valves I could fit a .025 feeler gauge between the lifter and valve. Replaced cylinder #1 valve gasket along with intake and exhaust gaskets. New plugs, Air filter, oil filter and oil. I have not started it up yet (it late and I am about to leave for the holiday) but will let you know if the problem was solved.

Thank you for the help.

skippymud

Threads
Looks like burnt oil on the plug, mixed with a little gas and air to create a goopy mess for Mr. Plug. But if the plug was fouling for a while, it would cause that build-up.

I see have yet to test the new plugs. Did the engine spit at all during running at top, under load?