Getting A Little Uneasy About Craftsman Lawn Tractors

tolona

Threads
  • / Getting A Little Uneasy About Craftsman Lawn Tractors
I had two previous Craft. mowers, both 12hp 38". No complaints used them hard, have a half acre to mow plus hauling wagons of firewood up hills.. Each one lasted 10 yrs. Didn't do anything but change the oil. and batteries. (clutches went out)........ Now my new one I bought in 2013, 42" 420cc, 2yr. extended war. ($200.) So I had 3 yrs. war. So under war. Sears had to replace the starter and the flywheel which had teeth chewed off and the battery. .... So now the ext. war. is up and I got carb. problems.... Sears service call is $99. plus $60/hr. labor+ parts. So i'm thinking i'll just slap on a whole new carb, I can handle that..S o I goes online, to check the price>>>>>>Carb assembly is no longer available. Tractor is four yrs. old and they prob. sold 1000s of these. What???

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That doesn't sound right that the carb is obsolete already. What is you lawnmower model number and also the model number off of the engine.

tolona

Threads
I'm glad you told me this. I went back to Sears/parts and found it by changing a zero to a capital o.. Confusing..... $74.00+sh s.mmchristy, outside Peoria

Lawn Addict
Threads
It happened to me on a 2008 craftsman 46" mower, manual transaxle was "made" by Dana* (Which is a plus in 4x4 circles etc) & I thought that was a good thing, right after warranty wheel seals started leaking, talked to Sears & they said no fix was possible, just replacement. But replacement was now obsolete. I called Dana directly & was informed sears or craftsman cut a deal with Dana to use their name & have china whip out some crap transaxles. Dana terminated the contract to use their name.

I had to file a case with BBB against sears, & judge said I was in the right, should have replacement parts for at least 10 years after a model is discontinued.
Sears said what do I wanna do, I said I would like a Husqvarna transaxle. They said it will NOT fit, I said, I will make it fit.

Bottom line I got the transaxle & fitted it. & it worked fine, but figured it was about time to sever my ties to sears. So I sold that mower.