Kohler CV15S JD LX173

Mark2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having difficulty getting starter to engage on Kohler 15HP engine in JD LX173. There is definite click when key is turned but starter does not engage. After numerous attempts (and clicks) the starter will engage and crank just fine till engine starts.
Battery and connections are good. Any suggestion before I simply replace parts?
MM

JD318420

Threads
Have you cleaned the area? Have you pulled the starter (cleaned it, lubricate with a dry lub?)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run a jumper from the Neg terminal to a good grounding point near the starter.
Problem goes away = bad ground
With the ground wire in place run a + jumper direct from the battery to the + on the starter.
Repeat with the jumper on the hot terminal on the solenoid & ignition to start.

Starts first hit both time = bad + contact / dirty terminals etc.
Starts on motor but not on solenoid = bad solenoid

Repeat with known good battery.
Works every time = bad battery.

Same every time = bad starter.
You can buy replacement brushes

If the engine turns a little then stops then turns a little the stops.
Then the problem will be badly adjusted valve lash.

mjb8fj

Threads
Having difficulty getting starter to engage on Kohler 15HP engine in JD LX173. There is definite click when key is turned but starter does not engage. After numerous attempts (and clicks) the starter will engage and crank just fine till engine starts.
Battery and connections are good. Any suggestion before I simply replace parts?
MM

if your battery is good (12.6v is considered normal full voltage), the clicking is the starter solenoid. What that is, the magnet inside isn't working properly. The click click is it trying to work, and then catching itself and working properly for you. One of mine is starting to do it as well, I found Everest parts (or look for Everest Ebay site, little cheaper than their regular site), some of theirs are around $25 bucks depending on what machine you got or need.