Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

Mr. Mower

Threads
Has anyone that owns a Hustler mower with the fancy round glass fuel guage ever have a problem with the fuel guage not reading or showing the correct amount of fuel indicating in the fuel tank?

The fuel guage needle indicator on my Hustler Raptor Flip up constantly shows/indicates/points to "FULL" even when there is hardly any fuel in the tank? The fuel tank was practically empty and the guage was indicating "full"?

Pour'd clean fuel into the fuel tank, indicator didn't even move, mowed the lawn and well afterwards you would think that the fuel guage would give an indication of maybe 3/4' of fuel in the tank or even at least show 1/2' but not even. Just "FULL" indication?

Also the fuel guage indicates the mowers total hours of usage is 6.8 which is correct because I really haven't used it very much, still looks very brand new!

Could be the 'fuel sensor'? The actual fuel guage itself?

I've already inquired with Hustler about this and another different problem that I had just experienced with my new Hustler Raptor Flip up and have yet to hear back from them.

Anyone else encounter this particular same problem?

1slow5point0h

Threads
No gauge on mine, I have to look at the little cutout in the rear fender or lift the seat.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Well earlier today I called a couple of authorized Hustler dealerships and spoke to some of the technical guys there and asked them if it was a known problem for the fuel gauge not gauging fuel correctly, etc. Told them the problem that I was encountering explaining that even though the mower is practically brand new, purchased only a couple months ago?

Their response was that the problem could be one of the following three things:

1.) The fuel gauge itself is inoperative/bad.
2.) the fuel tanks internal float is defective.
3.) the fuel tanks sending unit is bad

But one individual made it a point to emphasize that yes sometimes the problem with just the actual fuel gauge itself does happen (even though it is a new mower, after a few months time/usage) that the fuel gauge would act up or stop working and was told that, that would be the most likely problem with it so to check that out first.

Because that they have indeed had some mowers come in to have the fuel gauge replaced, with that specific problem.

Apparently it is a very easy task if you are pretty handy with tools. Just remove the entire black plastic covering screws and cover, this exposes the panel, fuel gauge, etc. connections, then disconnect the fuel gauge pin connector, pop up the defective fuel gauge then insert the good fuel gauge in its place, re-connect the fuel gauge pin connector then reset the black plastic covering and screws back and that's it.

Even though mine is still under warranty I'd hate to have to haul it back to an authorized Hustler dealership and wait two to three weeks just to have the fuel gauge replaced but if that is what needs to be done so be it.

Also I did mention that I did send Hustler manufacturer a request on my experiences with the fuel gauge, etc. but have yet to hear back from them. Probably when I do they'll just tell me to take it to an authorized Hustler dealership for warranty repair(s)?

DCFDZeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.

Thanks for your response.

You say you pulled the fuel tanks "internal float" out of the tank? Was it the screw down type or the sealed type of float from Kelch? Because Kelch is the manufacturer of Hustlers fuel tank internal float.
http://www.kelch.com/docs/specification-sheets/kelch-multi-level-gauge.pdf

I know for a fact, after testing, inspecting, trouble-shooting, etc. that it is not the actual round glass gauge on mine that is the problem. The gauge works. It is the fuel tanks internal float that is the problem and needs to be replaced.

After speaking (on the phone as well as emails) with the Hustler manufacturer tech and clearly explaining the problem throughly, I was informed that they have indeed had a problem with the fuel gauge giving inaccurate readings.

The tech explained to me that they were aware that at times the fuel thanks internal "float" would malfunction randomly and get stuck at times and that the entire "fuel tank" would need to be replaced to correct this. I was told that since mine was still under warranty that it would need to be sent to a local authorized Hustler dealership to have the entire fuel tank to be replaced for free.

I then asked why couldn't they just send me the fuel tanks "internal float" replacement so that I could just replace that by myself and the tech explained to me that for safety reasons they could not and would not under any circumstances be able do that. The only way to have it replaced would be to have it sent in to an authorized dealership to have that done.

Last edited:

Mr. Mower

Threads
I had not posted on this older thread that I started and well I just wanted to at least update on what had and has been done, since my original starting post.

Hopefully this will give someone else some hope if they have experienced this same problem.

Well the original problem to this saga had been solved by having my Hustler Raptor Flip Up picked up and taken to a Hustler Authorized Sales & Service place and having the Fuel Tank along with it's Fuel Sending Unit replaced with a new one.

That corrected the problem of the Fuel Gauge indicating correctly as it should for the time being but then after a few months, well the problem came back.

My mower is still under warranty.

Well then now, after speaking with an Engineer from Hustler Corp.(again) apparently there has been changes to the design of the original Fuel Tank's Fuel Sending Unit (as I was told) and a there is now a Service Kit from Hustler Corp. available to correct this specific faulty Fuel Gauge Meter problem.

Now my Hustler Raptor Flip Up has a brand new Fuel Tank (again) along with a new internal Fuel Sending Unit and the Fuel Gauge is working correctly as it should (for now at least)

Only time will tell how long this fix will last?

I'm hoping for the last time!

Attachments

• hustler raptor flip up.jpg
    hustler raptor flip up.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Hustler Flip Up fuel gauge by Excel 605483.JPG
    Hustler Flip Up fuel gauge by Excel 605483.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Hustler Raptor Flip Up front end with decals.jpg
    Hustler Raptor Flip Up front end with decals.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

menards

Forum Newbie
Threads
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2018 FLIP UP 15 HOURS,GAUGE NOT READIG RIGHT.HOW IS THIS RECENT GAUGE HOLDING UP? THX

Mr. Mower

Threads
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2018 FLIP UP 15 HOURS,GAUGE NOT READIG RIGHT.HOW IS THIS RECENT GAUGE HOLDING UP? THX

So far good, I'm glad to say. :thumbsup:

But still only time will really be the factor on this.

The very first time that I encountered this, I actually did research on this problem specifically with the fuel tanks internal fuel sending units gauge design (I was able to get a copy of the fuel sending gauge internal design) along with it's electrical components and determined what the problem might be.

I first called Hustler Corp. and spoke with their engineer and explained the problem that I was encountering I was told that Hustler Corp. was aware of the problem and that it was only a matter of just replacing the fuel tank and fuel tanks internal sending unit to correct the problem.

After being told that, I knew that I could perform the task myself but Hustler Corp. would not allow sending the parts directly to me since it is considered a safety issue and that the only way to have it replaced was through an authorized Hustler service dealership (which I already knew) and that since my mower was still under warranty that it would be done at no cost. So I had the dealership do it and it worked fine for a few months but then the same problem happened again.

I contacted and spoke with the original manufacturer's ( Excel/Kelch ) engineer on the original design of the fuel tanks internal "fuel sending gauge", explained to them what I considered was the "root cause" specifically to the problem and it was determined that the units internal electrical components would become faulty over a short period of time and stay either "open" or "closed", resulting in the fuel gauge indicator showing either just "full" or "empty" and would not move.

I experienced this twice now since the first time this happened, the dealership just replaced the fuel tank along with the fuel sending unit with original equipment and well of course the problem came back after a few months (figured that it would).

The second time this happened I knew what I was in for since my mower is under warranty. So I took it a step further and called around and spoke with several other Hustler Authorized dealerships technicians and mechanics around the country and they all basically told me the same thing about just replacing the fuel tank and fuel sending unit with the exception of two places.

These two places basically explained me that Hustler Corp. knows about the problem with the faulty fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit (which I already knew) and that Hustler determined that the fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit was a faulty design and was in the process of having it corrected with a new design concept.

So now this second time, again fuel tank has been replaced this time though the entire fuel tank is black in color no longer white and of course along with the newly designed fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit.

So again, only time will tell for sure if the problem is actually fixed for good once and for all or ?

Flip the seat up and check your mowers fuel tank, what color is it?....that should give you and indication but either way contact a Hustler Authorized sales & service place and they should take it from there to correct the problem (I would assume that your mowers is under warranty since it is a 2018 model so you should not have to pay for anything only transportation if needed for pick up and delivery, unless of course you can take care of that yourself?)

Good luck and hopefully this info helps you out in anyway. Also keep us posted on your decision on what you plan on doing.

Menards if you have any other questions regarding the fuel gauge problem send me a PM.

Attachments

• Hustler fuel gauge sending unit.jpg
    Hustler fuel gauge sending unit.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Hustler fuel gauge         service kit            PN 607052.jpg
    Hustler fuel gauge service kit PN 607052.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Raptor Flip Up new Black Fuel Tank replacement PN# 606525.jpg
    Raptor Flip Up new Black Fuel Tank replacement PN# 606525.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
  • kelch-multi-level-gauge.pdf
    878.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Would you happen to have the receipts for the warranty work that shows all the part numbers for the replaced parts? I'm thinking of installing a fuel guage in my SD60 and would like all the numbers.

Thanks,

Max

Mr. Mower

Threads
Would you happen to have the receipts for the warranty work that shows all the part numbers for the replaced parts? I'm thinking of installing a fuel guage in my SD60 and would like all the numbers.

Thanks,

Max

I think that these parts would not fit your specific model mower but I could be wrong.

If you don't already have a fuel gauge in your mower then your more than likely going to need some sort of conversion kit that is going to involve a bit more than just those two parts mentioned.

Though to answer your original question, "No I do not".

But really there are only two parts, the "Fuel Tank" and the "Fuel Tanks Internal Sending Unit".

Call your Hustler Authorized Sales & Service center, they should be able to hook you up. If not then call Hustler Corp. directly.

Does your SD 60 already have a fuel gauge and if so what type/style is it...old fashion round glass type with needle indicator or the small square digital type?

Last edited: