Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

mhavanti

Threads
Gene,

There is nothing there when trying to open that pdf. Would you copy and paste once again?

Thank you in advance,

Max

Mr. Mower

Threads
Thank you Mr. Mower for posting this thread. I have a Raptor Flip Up 54 inch which was delivered about one year or so ago. I am having all kinds of minor annoyances with it including the fuel gauge problem. Also one side of the parking brake switches does not work (I put a rubber stick on foot as a temp fix so I can start the thing ) and day before yesterday the battery crapped out. It had a date sticker of November 2015 on it which is a long time considering the unit was delivered spring of 2017.

I emailed them and got the safety bullshit. I don't want to pay $150 to have them look at under warranty (transportation charges) and I also don't want a black fuel tank because if the gauge is not working then you won't be able to see how much gas is in the tank. Have you tried to buy a new sensor from Kelch. I am going to look into whether I can get that Hall effect device since that is the only component on there. My gauge goes to empty when I unplug the sensor and then full when plugged in regardless of fuel level.

I was VERY non plussed with the response from Hustler/Excel

Hey, I can definitely understand your frustration with those issues. But as for the battery, well that can always be replaced with a new one, really no big deal with that. That's one quick and easy fix.

Also, thanks for posting the data sheet, though I already had one of those stored in file on my laptop.

As for the fuel gauge problem, well after you have read all the post in this thread, looks like you already know what needs to be done to fix that. Yes you are correct Kelch will not sell any parts directly to the consumer. They will only sell straight to the manufacturer (this case Hustler/Excell Corp.). How do I know this?...believe me I had already tried myself, that's how I know for a fact.

Looks like you have two options for fixing the fuel gauge problem. 1.) Since your mower is still under warranty (that is "if" it still is and it should be?) you can bite the cost of transportation $ and just pay it and have it sent to an Authorized Hustler Sales & Service center and have them fix the problems?...or 2.) See "if" the Hustler authorized sales & service can just order the parts for you and then you can install them yourself? Again since your mower is under warranty, Hustler Corp. can provide the parts necessary, free of charge but you provide the labor by doing it yourself?

I've studied the Service Owners Manual on the Raptor Flip Up (I also have the 54" model deck) and have talked to several Hustler technicians, etc. about how the job gets done and really there is not a lot too it, repairing and fixing the fuel gauge problem. Same thing with the Parking Switches.

The only thing about option #2 is that Hustler Corp may not want to provide you with the parts since Hustler Corp. see's this as a big safety issue (involving fuel, etc.) so they will not ship parts to you directly. You will have to get parts through the authorized sales & service place. Then again, even the Hustler sales & service place may not want to do this either since they will be left out on getting compensated for not doing the work?.....also too there's always the fact that a Hustler sales & service tech did not perform the repair and if you have problems they may not honor the warranty since you did the task yourself and Hustler will more than likely state that, that voids the warranty?

It's your call on how to proceed?

But again, since your mower is still under warranty, I would still just pay for the transportation of your mower and simply have Hustler repair, replace, etc. and fix the problems that you are having with the fuel gauge and the parking brake switches?

That's just me though.

Good Luck with whatever decision you decide to go with.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's for reasons like this that I always recommend buying equipment from nearby servicing dealers rather than distant ones or big box stores. I don't have a Bob-Cat because I think it's the best mower out there or the dealer gave me a discount. I bought it because the dealer is a 5 mile, 10 minute drive away and because they provide excellent service. If I couldn't get my mower to them they would come and pick it up, no problem.

On the subject of the gas gauge: If my mower had one, I'm sure I would want it to work, at least while under warranty. But I've never had a mower with one and it's not a big deal. I just unscrew the tank(s) cap and take a peek to see if I have enough fuel to do what I plan to. I'm in my 17th season mowing commercially and I've only run out of gas a couple of times while using a mower. Just check it like you do the oil before firing it up :smile:

gene_stl

Threads
The black replacement fuel tank would make it impossible to visually check the fuel. Even with the current white tank you have to get off and flip up the seat.
I am going to call my dealer and see if he will get the parts for me and let me do the work. He can bill them for the labor I don't care.
I did replace the battery. It just grinds after just about one year exactly. It sort of tells me my mower was sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year and a half or so.
I got the neutral switch problem solved with a stick on rubber spacer for temporary and there is also an adjustment too which I saw on you tube from a dealer. (search hustler flip up)

The fuel gauge is probably too sophisticated for a lawn mower. Every damn thing has to have chips in it. Including my ******* Gillette razor handle. I love the Fusion shave but when the battery drops to a certain level the vibrator/buzzer goes OFF. Why not just let the battery run down? The problem is probably from that Melexis company but that doesn't solve my problem. We shall see what the local dealers will do if anything.

In any case thank you Mr.Mower for starting this thread.

Mr. Mower

Threads
The black replacement fuel tank would make it impossible to visually check the fuel. Even with the current white tank you have to get off and flip up the seat.
I am going to call my dealer and see if he will get the parts for me and let me do the work. He can bill them for the labor I don't care.
I did replace the battery. It just grinds after just about one year exactly. It sort of tells me my mower was sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year and a half or so.
I got the neutral switch problem solved with a stick on rubber spacer for temporary and there is also an adjustment too which I saw on you tube from a dealer. (search hustler flip up)

The fuel gauge is probably too sophisticated for a lawn mower. Every damn thing has to have chips in it. Including my ******* Gillette razor handle. I love the Fusion shave but when the battery drops to a certain level the vibrator/buzzer goes OFF. Why not just let the battery run down? The problem is probably from that Melexis company but that doesn't solve my problem. We shall see what the local dealers will do if anything.

In any case thank you Mr.Mower for starting this thread.

Well glad I could be of help of some sorts.

I definitely don't consider myself an "expert" (like a few others here do) and "I never will".

If I can help someone out with info then great. Because that is why I come on here, just for that as well, learning as I go along.

Good to know that you corrected the problem with your battery. Afterwards I had thought about it and was going to add that just maybe the original battery had a bad cell(s) and was causing the battery to weaken quicker or die out faster?

My Flip Up still has the same battery from when it was first delivered to me back in 2016. I installed a battery charger connector that is connected directly to the battery so that I can quickly connect the battery charger to it without having to flip up the seat and make connections to the battery the old way.

It's a simple and easy process. Just plug in and start the charge, gives you an indication once the battery is fully charged and your all set.

Just maybe your original battery just needed distilled water added to a cell(s) along with a good long charge and it would have been good to go?

Doesn't matter anyway now!

gene_stl

Threads
UPDATE

So my dealer actually took pretty good care of me. He came and picked up the Raptor FlipUp and did replace the fuel tank (with the stupid black one {:eek:(( Now you CAN'T look at te fuel level. And there is a dog leg in the filler so you can't look in there )
I put a new battery in it myself. I let the dealer sell me the springy front forks and the seat springs kit to take some of the sting out of having to come and get it.
Now about five months later the fuel gauge doesn't work AGAIN. Also maybe one of his technicians hooked something up wrong (I hope) because in order to use the flip up feature you have to press the switch that is hooked to the flip up locking lever which you can only do by flipping the seat forward. So to use the flip up feature I have to get help so someone can hold the seat.

The reason "I hope" that one of the dealers repair guys plugged something in wrong or backwards is that this thing seems to have a control circuit board. Probably with a damn microprocessor on it. This could be the root of some of these problems. I haven't yet noticed where this control board might be but when it warms up maybe I will look.

I also have had annoyances with it stopping suddenly while I am mowing. That only happened about three times and stopped happening but it doesn't give you great confidence.

I do LOVE the way it cuts. With the springy front forks it rides good on my bumpy and huge lawn.

There was another thread here where someone posted a link to boat fuel senders and gauges. If this headache persists past the warranty that will be the solution.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I have the same round fuel gauge on my Fastrak I bought new this past August. It seems to work, at least tells if the tank is full or near empty. The gauge jumps all over the place when the mower is moving. I don't really need a gauge anyway. I filled it to where I can see fuel in the neck before every other mowing, and I never came close to running out of gas with that 5 gallon tank. I don't think I would bother to take it in for a failed gauge, but would only have it fixed if in to the shop for some other warranty reason. The dealer where I bought it is about 15 miles. I would make an appointment for approximate date because mowers to be worked on (and to sell) sit outside until they get around to selling or working on them. I don't like my mowers sitting out in the weather.

BTW, my fuel tank is all black plastic.

Last edited:

gene_stl

Threads
Well it looks like some of the yacht fuel gauges would fit in the same hole. And also my hours gauge is off because if you inadvertently leave the ignition on it keeps running rather than having some kind of sensor to detect if the engine is running . (Yes I agree that would be very sophisticated for a mower but so is the rotatory magnet tech they used for this fuel sensor which SHOULD work. this is not a moon shot after all)

I think if they put a fuel gauge on it should work. It is part of what you paid for. Also since the replacement tank is black ( I can see the point of black for things that are going to be exposed directly to the sun but these tanks are completely covered.) you can't see the fuel level at all. This is just stooopid and aggravating. And I don't care to schlep a fuel jerry can out to a mower that might have run dry. jmo.