Mower
    Hustler Raptor Flip-Up

Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

Has anyone that owns a Hustler mower with the fancy round glass fuel guage ever have a problem with the fuel guage not reading or showing the correct amount of fuel indicating in the fuel tank?

The fuel guage needle indicator on my Hustler Raptor Flip up constantly shows/indicates/points to "FULL" even when there is hardly any fuel in the tank? The fuel tank was practically empty and the guage was indicating "full"?

Pour'd clean fuel into the fuel tank, indicator didn't even move, mowed the lawn and well afterwards you would think that the fuel guage would give an indication of maybe 3/4' of fuel in the tank or even at least show 1/2' but not even. Just "FULL" indication?

Also the fuel guage indicates the mowers total hours of usage is 6.8 which is correct because I really haven't used it very much, still looks very brand new!

Could be the 'fuel sensor'? The actual fuel guage itself?

I've already inquired with Hustler about this and another different problem that I had just experienced with my new Hustler Raptor Flip up and have yet to hear back from them.

Anyone else encounter this particular same problem?

Mower
    Huster Raptor SD 54

Re: Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

No gauge on mine, I have to look at the little cutout in the rear fender or lift the seat.

Mower
    Hustler Raptor Flip-Up

Well earlier today I called a couple of authorized Hustler dealerships and spoke to some of the technical guys there and asked them if it was a known problem for the fuel gauge not gauging fuel correctly, etc. Told them the problem that I was encountering explaining that even though the mower is practically brand new, purchased only a couple months ago?

Their response was that the problem could be one of the following three things:

1.) The fuel gauge itself is inoperative/bad.
    2.) the fuel tanks internal float is defective.
    3.) the fuel tanks sending unit is bad

But one individual made it a point to emphasize that yes sometimes the problem with just the actual fuel gauge itself does happen (even though it is a new mower, after a few months time/usage) that the fuel gauge would act up or stop working and was told that, that would be the most likely problem with it so to check that out first.

Because that they have indeed had some mowers come in to have the fuel gauge replaced, with that specific problem.

Apparently it is a very easy task if you are pretty handy with tools. Just remove the entire black plastic covering screws and cover, this exposes the panel, fuel gauge, etc. connections, then disconnect the fuel gauge pin connector, pop up the defective fuel gauge then insert the good fuel gauge in its place, re-connect the fuel gauge pin connector then reset the black plastic covering and screws back and that's it.

Even though mine is still under warranty I'd hate to have to haul it back to an authorized Hustler dealership and wait two to three weeks just to have the fuel gauge replaced but if that is what needs to be done so be it.

Also I did mention that I did send Hustler manufacturer a request on my experiences with the fuel gauge, etc. but have yet to hear back from them. Probably when I do they'll just tell me to take it to an authorized Hustler dealership for warranty repair(s)?

Mower
    Hustler Raptor Flipup

I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.

Mower
    Hustler Raptor Flip-Up

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDZeke View Post
    I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.
    Thanks for your response.

You say you pulled the fuel tanks "internal float" out of the tank? Was it the screw down type or the sealed type of float from Kelch? Because Kelch is the manufacturer of Hustlers fuel tank internal float.
    http://www.kelch.com/docs/specificat...evel-gauge.pdf

I know for a fact, after testing, inspecting, trouble-shooting, etc. that it is not the actual round glass gauge on mine that is the problem. The gauge works. It is the fuel tanks internal float that is the problem and needs to be replaced.

After speaking (on the phone as well as emails) with the Hustler manufacturer tech and clearly explaining the problem throughly, I was informed that they have indeed had a problem with the fuel gauge giving inaccurate readings.

The tech explained to me that they were aware that at times the fuel thanks internal "float" would malfunction randomly and get stuck at times and that the entire "fuel tank" would need to be replaced to correct this. I was told that since mine was still under warranty that it would need to be sent to a local authorized Hustler dealership to have the entire fuel tank to be replaced for free.

I then asked why couldn't they just send me the fuel tanks "internal float" replacement so that I could just replace that by myself and the tech explained to me that for safety reasons they could not and would not under any circumstances be able do that. The only way to have it replaced would be to have it sent in to an authorized dealership to have that done.
    Last edited by Mr. Mower; 12-27-2016 at 10:45 PM.