Walk behind New Boy

parkboy

Threads
I recently picked up and excellent curb find L21ZSNA. It's in really good shape and after I took the carb apart and cleaned it out with a piece of fine wire and air it runs like a clock!!

It is a little hard to start and I wonder if any of you have used an electric drill to start these 2 cycles without any problems?

Also, is there a way to check the grease in the plastic dive gear box?

Thanks,

parkboy

Phototone

Threads
Honestly, I think using an electric drill is just compensating for other fixable conditions. You should be easily able to pull start any Lawnboy, if everything is proper and it has compression within spec.

Lawnboy77

Threads
I second what Phototone stated, when tuned properly it should pull start very easily. That Walbro carb you have is a choke only, no primer, so you are looking at a cold start of maybe 3 pulls when the weather is warm, if temps are cool, or cold, it may take a few more pulls, this of course all depends on how hard you pull the rope. If you wanted to cut down on the number of pulls to start I suppose you could add a primer kit to the carb, with a choke only carb, basically the first pull or two are just primer pulls, now when the engine is hot by all means it should start on one pull, or even half of a pull. I have the cast deck version of that mower, it's an S21ZPN and it sounds like maybe your choke isn't functioning properly. I would pull the air cleaner cover and filter off and verify the choke plate (butterfly) is moving to the closed position when the throttle lever is placed in the full forward position (cold start position). Verify that you are getting full travel of the sliding mechanism at the top of the air box, and if you ever run into a situation where the engine is hard to start when hot, it could very well be the opposite situation where the choke return spring is not pulling the choke plate fully open when the throttle is in the run position. In the case of a sticky choke linkage it's usually fixed with a good cleaning of the carb.