PB 265L Running Rough - Local shop tried to tell me cylinder scored!

shacky

Threads
  • / PB 265L Running Rough - Local shop tried to tell me cylinder scored!
I took my rough running Echo to local shop. After a few days they call to tell me it's not worth fixing. Compression is low, cylinder scored.

I already bought a new larger Still and I'm very happy with it. But I decide to check the compression myself. I get just under 90. Not knowing what it should be I add a few drops of 2-cycle oil and test again. Same reading.

So I put everything back together and am thinking of:

A. Spraying some carb cleaner in to see if that does anything.
B. Buy carb kit and dip carb - I have dip can already - and dip carb.

Anybody know if 90 is a good number for compression? I'm assuming these little engines don't have a compression release to worry about when taking reading.

Thanks!

shacky

Threads
BTW it does run but won't run at full throttle. It gets rough at high revs till it warms up but almost dies at absolute full throttle.

shacky

Threads
As I'm rereading this I'm thinking bad running wide open is likely restricted fuel supply or dirt in port used at wide open. It's running pretty goo at below full throttle now that I squirted some carb cleaner after removing air filter.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I find when I get one of these small engines in my shop like on a chain saw its just as cheaper to buy a new carburetor off EBay then to rebuild. For some reason I don't have very good luck trying to clean them. 90 psi to me doesn't sound that bad but on the low side but it should run OK. Neighbor, Rochester isn't very far from Marion :thumbsup:

shacky

Threads
I find when I get one of these small engines in my shop like on a chain saw its just as cheaper to buy a new carburetor off EBay then to rebuild. For some reason I don't have very good luck trying to clean them. 90 psi to me doesn't sound that bad but on the low side but it should run OK. Neighbor, Rochester isn't very far from Marion :thumbsup:

Thanks!

shacky

Threads
eBay great suggestion! $17 compared to $53 elsewhere. Thank you very much!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had very good luck with the eBay carburetors.