Repairs Mower runs for a few seconds then stalls

Matty2474

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All - having some trouble with my HUSKEE (MTD) 11A-B2M7031 walk behind mower. It has a HUAYI carb and it doesn't want to start. This model has no choke to adjust, and throttle selector. I have been playing with this thing all day and am at my wits end. HELP!! I got leaves to bag!!

This is what I have done so far:
  • I have drained the tank, rinsed out with a little gas.
  • Took off the carb and bowl, removed and checked the float and needle (that seems ok - never saw the spring and needle in one piece before).
  • Sprayed carb cleaner into the ports, then took some fine welding wire into each of the ports.
  • Through dismantle and reinstall I can tell the fuel flows through the line, fills the bowl and will start when I spray a little fuel into the carb - but then it seems like it isn't sucking up any gas - with that being said I have also ruled out the plug
  • I also took out the idle port on top of the carb and sprayed it out with carb cleaner and tried to send a metal wire from a wire brush through the port but it seems like a really small opening
So it starts right up when I spray a little fuel or carb cleaner into the carb, but it just runs up, which is why I think it isn't drawing up gas. I am just not sure what else to check. Now the other thing to mention is that this is the same gas from the can that I filled up in August. For a while I was tipping it on its side and it started great. I just kept saying I will check it this winter when I can get it up off the ground and give it a thorough cleaning - well the mower had other ideas.

Any info is appreciated.