Engine dying after hour and half of mowing

Mr. Mower

Threads
Doubt it's the starter on mine as it will crank and crank. Sounds like fuel delivery issue.

On the solenoid, are you referring to the fuel cut off solenoid in the carb?

Could it be a fuel pump issue? Are those fuel pumps driven off of engine vacuum?

As previously mentioned, those technical problems that I listed are from researching "starting issues" for the Hustler mower (from various other post, forums, youtube, calling Hustler Corp. and speaking with engineers, etc.) and are just your average starting issues that one may encounter (especially if the unit is still under warranty, keep in mind).

Yes there could be various other known problems (depending on how old and model your Hustler mower is?) and your issue could very well be fuel involved as you stated.

Like everything else it appears as though you will have to trouble-shoot and diagnose and research your problem for your specific Hustler mower model.

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ethanol in gasoline attracts moisture in an unsealed gasoline container. The fuel filters on small engines have a paper type element which when water enters, the element changes color as it soaks up the water and in time blocks the flow of gasoline.
However, if the engine restarts after a cooldown and will run for another period of time, then something is overheating either from engine heat or resistance in an electrical circuit/device, more than likely a fuel supply related problem.
As I service primarily older machines(pre ethanol), I have had to rerun and insulate fuel supply lines away from heat sources in order to prevent/reduce vapor lock problems.
A few thoughts!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Jack17

Threads
I have a 2013 hustler Fastrak SD with a Kaw fx730. After about an hour and half of mowing, the engine starts to surge and eventually die. It's pretty consistent. During surging, I give it choke, which helps but eventually it's overcome and dies. I've also tried taking the lids off of the gas tanks, thinking venting was an issue. No change. Gas tank is 3/4 full. Once it dies, I can't start the engine for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then it's fine.

Is the engine overheating?

I wish I had your machine because it is like an Extrasensory Perception I can just feel it. First in history of this planet, a direct connection in between a human and a machine! 1 1/2 hour apart is a perfect timing for my beer brake when I mow...perfect!!!! If it was me I wouldn't dare fixin' it!!!:thumbsup:

Mr. Mower

Threads
Another point to consider here about fuel (and a lot of times this gets over looked).

Carefully read your specific model mower's "Operator's Manual" section about Fuel & Evaporative Emissions Control System section.

Read specifics about the type of (fuel) regular unleaded gasoline and what Octane Rating along with the maximum ethanol that the fuel should contain.

If not, refer to your specific engines Owner's Manual for any additional information pertaining to fuel specifications, etc.

Hope this info helps?