Craftsman Gas Powered Yard Equipment

tlerew325

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello;

I am a huge fan of Craftsman mechanic/power tools so I started buying Craftsman Yard Equipment.
I now have two CM blowers, a CM chainsaw, mower, power washer, weedeater, and a snow blower.

As of now, the mower, the chain saw, and both blowers will not start.
One blower is only one year old.
The mower is 7 years old.
The chain saw has only been used 3 times.

Anyone else having similar problems with Craftsman Yard Equipment?

I don't know if it is worth taking them somewhere to have them serviced, I may just start over and take the loss.

I change spark plugs and have cleaned the carbs, but no luck. They are getting spark, but will not start.
My weedeater and pressure washer will start after about twenty pulls.
The only way I can start the mower is to remove the spark plug and pour a little gas in the cylinder.

The blowers piss me off. One stopped working last fall (three years old), so I bought another one (25cc, 215MPH) which worked all spring and summer until now, and will not start. Yes, only one year old. It's ridiculous.

Any ideas on what I should do or perhaps another brand I should go to and just take the loss?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm willing to bet you have a fuel problem. How long has the gas been sitting in the equipment? How old is the fuel ing the can? If more than a month, especially with the 2-cycle units, you have found your problem. Most Craftsman equipment is produced by MTD and the carbs they are using are very easily fouled with old fuel. If the 2-cycle units have sat for more than two mnths, you may be looking a carb replacement, for sure carb cleaning and rebuilding.

tlerew325

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mind you, all of these devices did not quit running at the same time, if I didn't make that clear.

The gas/oil mix for the last blower that I now cannot start isn't more than a week or two old.
The lawn mower is a four cycle and that gas can gets refilled all of the time.

The chain saw hasn't been used in years until I went to use it again and it wouldn't start.

The first blower was working until the next time when it wouldn't start again and I bought a new one. The new one started four days earlier (last week) and now it will not start at all.

The only thing I never replaced is the fuel filters. I have tore apart and cleaned the carbs of both blowers and the lawn mower.

BTW - thanks for the response.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Modern fuel is not petrol and degrades over time.
It also leave a very sticky thick residue that will not redissolve in "fuel" .
Thus it has become very important to run fuel powered tools dry if they are not going to be used for extended periods.
Fuel can be bad direct from the pump, caught me out a couple of times.
It s all very airy fairy.
Some will store for years with out the slightest problem other will be bad the next day.
I now only sell a 1 liter ( about a quart ) mix bottle for small engines and 2 liter ( ~ 1 quart ) storage cans.

All of those sound like blocked idle circuits.
For small hand helds, I replace carbs now as the first option.
Rebuilding costs are now well in excess of the replacement cost.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a pro, but their advice is good. I have run rider and weedwhackers (2 stroke) for years. What I do is only buy gas in 1 gallon containers to produce turnover of the ethanol gas. This is inconvenient at times , but does maintain fresher gas. In fall I shut down the 2 stroke whacker by waiting until there is about a half tank and then "doping" with sta-bil. You will find this forum uses other additives also. They tell you to mix externally and then add. (I have always done this in the tank-don't tell anyone). Run the whacker till warm. Then I pour out the tank contents. There is enough in the lines and carb to allow running until the little engine starves out. I have never had a carb problem.

The rider is used year round, but in fall as usage falls off, I dope the tank of the Craftsman Intek and have never had a carb problem since new in 2004. Never starting problems, but the little 2 strokes will flood easily, and want clean air filter.
:2cents:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By your reply, you have confirmed that you have consumer related fuel problems. You cannot leave mixed fuel in units for long periods of time and expect them to start and run properly. The mower (if it is taken care of like the 2-cycle units) probably won't start because it has not had a good tune-up in some time. In the case, don't blame Craftsman, it's not their problem.

tolona

Threads
Here's what I've found: these small engines don't like this ethanol gasoline so much. After some asking around I found where they sell regular gas (straight gas w/o ethanol) It costs 30-40% more, but I've found my small engines, Honda 90, big Craft. sno-blower, little Toro S/B, chainsaws etc. run better and start better on regular gas. When I go to this station that sells regular there's always motorcycle guys there filling up their big scooters with regular gas.... I think this alcohol in ethanol gas draws water out of the air and this goes into your carb. and then it sits there corroding, whilst you sleep. I'm sure this has been brought up here before....