Lawn Boy 10682 Tecumseh Carb with red plastic tube?

rickpaulos

Threads
I just spent the entire day repairing this mower.
before:
missing spark plug
missing cover screws
filthy air filter
water in gas tank
water in carb
float stuck
rusty from sitting
chip in one end of the blade
oh yeah, blade bolt loose!
sheared flywheel key.

Now, pulls easy, runs for about 2 seconds and dies. Clearly a fuel issue.
I cleaned the carb as much as I could but it was rather messed up after sitting for who knows how many years.

I figure a new carb is next but when I looked at the pictures they have a red tube sticking out of the inlet. I figured that was previous owner's attempt to jamb the butterfly open so I pulled it out. Is this the reason the motor won't keep running? What is the red tube for?

thanks,
rick

Attachments

• carb.red.tube.jpg
    carb.red.tube.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13

fabricgator

Threads
I bought a complete carb from ebay for about $20 including shipping. Now there is a lot of clone stuff on there but I found a guy solid639 that claimed a genuine techumseh carb, and for the life of me, I cannot tell any difference. It was either a perfect chinese knockoff or the originals were made in China...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Red tube is an extended air vent for the float bowl, it should be there.

rickpaulos

Threads
Yes, I did order a new carb via ebay. the mower was sitting for up to 10 years with water in the gas tank and carb. The more I cleaned the carb, the more tiny holes appeared thru the gunk I figure there is no way I could ever clean those tiny holes well enough and the mower won't keep running after I cleaned it as much as I could. A new carb is cheaper than rebuild kits that I couldn't find and they ready to go. I got one a couple weeks ago for my shredder that works fine but runs faster than it should. The two carbs (mower vs shredder) are very similar looking but the mower has the red tube. I've never seen one like that before.

rick