2017 Toro Timemaster

Ripple

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some help/advice on buying a new mower. I have about 3/4 of an acre and I prefer a walk behind mower. Standard 21" deck is too small for my large lawn - in conducting research I found the Timemaster (TM). I visited my local Toro dealer and thankfully they had a TM on the floor. The sales guy went through the specs / features and I was impressed with mower. I asked about the 2017 model, as there is no reason to buy the mower now. He stated that the 2017 model will have some changes and one of those might be a new, more powerful engine. Can anyone here confirm the changes to the 2017 TM? Thank you.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't confirm the more powerful engine.

However we have one we bought in early 2014. There is rarely a day it does not come off of the trailer when we are working. It is an awesome mower. If ours were to die today I would without hesitation buy another one in a heartbeat.

We use it to mulch, bag, and discharge.

I run four different zero turns, and cut a tremendous amount of grass in lower Alabama. The Toro is awesome to cut fenced in back yards, Islands in parking lots, and numerous other applications.

Last week we even blew leaves up in piles with a blower and used the Toro to run over them and then bag them in a small parking lot.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I don't have a time cutter but have 3 z masters oldest is a 08 newest is a 2015, if the time cutter holds up half as well as the z you can't go wrong

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Timemaster is now using the pro series 1000 engine compared to the 875 series.

Great mower in both mulching and collecting.

yukon202

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. That engine might help with mowing wet grass. I have the 2016 TM, 150 hours, zero problems, but it does not do well in wet grass. I work around it. I would recommend to wait for 2017 with new engine. I wonder if they will upgrade the pulleys to handle the bigger engine, same with belts, but who knows.

Ripple

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am sure everyone know this by now, but the 2017 does come with an upgrade to the engine. PS 1000 engine - 10 ft lb torque and 223cc. The torque upgrade is significant IMO. I will be buying this mower within the next couple of weeks.

wberry

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first time participating in a forum of any type; I don't even know if this topic is still active. I have the Toro Timemaster also. It clogs excessively! I've also found that my lawn has been flopping and matting down (and ultimately dying), instead of lifting and cutting. I bought the machine a couple years ago; it was $1,000 so I'd like to avoid throwing it in the garbage, as frustrated as it makes me. I tried raising the back of the mower a level higher than the front; but I didn't notice any significant improvement. In doing some research, I found on Home Depot some high lift conversion kit. Anyone ever look into that to resolve the clogging dilemma? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

speedy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
We found the time master needs to have the cowling (4 3/8 bolts) taken off regularly for constant debris removal and tension adjustments. The belts stretch. Such high RPM make the twin blades cut very nice as you can see by the sawdust size mulch it produces. This is why the blades must be super sharp always and there is a high lift blade available but one is for mulch and I think one is for bag. Too bad they dont have a combined cap/dipstick on the transmission to change fluid. Also use original manufacturer air filter because it may fit very well without allowing dirt to contaminate the oil. An aftermarket filter may be too loose allowing dirt into the engine like a vaccum cleaner sucking dirt in. You need to put a fuel shutoff and fuel filter in too. We use synthetic 5w30, no ethanol fuel and stabil marine 360 for fuel. Deck will always clog for us a hassle to clean but works nice on dry grass cutting only a bit off the top mulching back into the ground. Some say Shell Rotella for Diesel is best never used it. We change oil as soon as it gets dirty and suck it out with a syringe putting dirty oil in a dry water bottle and filling a second right beside the dirty bottle up to the same level then pour it in. Take minutes for oil change. Recommend lots of oil changes and filter changes no ethanol fuel and stabilizer in every tankful as well as constantly looking at this mower for oiling cables adjustments etc and running it gently and it may last-one can hope.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kevlar mower belts do not stretch. they wear thin.
If yours are wearing thin quickly then you have problems with the pulleys or pulley alignment.

slinger2

Threads
I've had my Timemaster since 2012. Residential use only on smallish 1/3rd acre lot. Very lush, thick bluegrass. I suggested to Toro back when I first bought the mower that they should put the 1000 series engine on it but their engineering dept smugly replied that it was not needed on that mower - HAH! Nice to see them eating their words today! As has been stated previously, the mower is fine in dry grass but does bog down a bit in wet or tall grass when mulching, which is all I do. I installed the high lift blades and find that even the mulching is improved a bit as I always cut at 3" or higher. I tweaked up the rpm on the 190cc engine about 200-300 or so and that improves the cut as well. 5w-30 synthetic oil always and use Ethanol Shield stabilizer. I was wondering if anyone here has swapped a 223cc engine for a 190cc one and how that went.