Snapper blade deck clearance

lanmanusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a way to adjust the clearance between the deck sides and the end of the blade? I have 1" clearance on top when blade is vertical and 1/4" clearance on the bottom. Adding a mulching kit, which attaches to the bottom of the deck (see pic), adds 1/4 inch which makes my blade hit on the bottom.snapper_rear mower.png

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your spindle placement is what puts the blade where it is. Move spindle and blade moves. 4 bolts hold spindle in place. Loosen bolts and move spindle towards front of deck and check clearances. It looks like you have 2 bolts missing. Circled in picture. You need to find out why they are missing.
snapper.jpg

lanmanusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Chuck, must be trick photography as all 4 bolts are actually there. The spindle is centered (on the mound it is mounted to) and I wasn't sure if I should (or could) move it. I will definitely loosen them up and see if I can slide it some to make the adjustment.

I'll update the thread with my results.

lanmanusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your spindle placement is what puts the blade where it is. Move spindle and blade moves. 4 bolts hold spindle in place. Loosen bolts and move spindle towards front of deck and check clearances. It looks like you have 2 bolts missing. Circled in picture. You need to find out why they are missing.
View attachment 30320

No go, I removed the bolts and that axis has no wiggle room. I'm baffled as there are no dents or warping. It almost seems like it was designed that way ...but doesn't make sense why the gaps are so different and the mulching kit airflow baffle would make the blade hit. For know I removed the airflow baffle, kept the Ninja blade on and jammed a kickball in the discharge shoot.

Would love to hear any other thoughts or if anyone else has got the Ninja mulching kit to work.

Mower Model SR 1230
301215BE

Mulching kit
7061254 YP

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you using aftermarket blade ? If so, measure the oem blade & compare it to aftermarket blade length.

That is pretty normal to have more clearance in front of deck to pass the cut grass easier.

lanmanusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. It's a Ninja kit that Snapper dealer said is the correct one to use. Go figure.

snorky1

Threads
i agree the spindle is off center or the deck is bent or egg shaped
measure it across in 10 places to find the bend and reshape it or oval the spindle mount holes and move the spindle over, that blade may be 1 inch to small as well being worn on the edges is always a problem where i live due to the sand, blade will look great but the edges are worn 1/3 of a inch on each side reducing lift giving a bad cut on thick grass or tall grass.