Honda Harmony FG 100 Mini-Tiller questions

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has a GX 31 Honda 4 stroke, been working to revive this mini-tiller a neighbor gifted me with.

Does anyone know if the engine oil is what also oils the gear box on the tiller below ?

I don't have an owners manual.

Should I be able to manually rotate the tines ? I don't wanna try & maybe break something.

So far I have cleaned gas tank, replaced carb & all gas lines, filters etc. has spark, but don't know the gap ?

I'm about ready to test fire this baby up.

Any help would be MOST appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The owners manual for both the engine & the tiller are available as a free down load from the Honda Web site.
And no the engine& impliment have separate oil supplies.
10W 40 for the engine and gear oil for the tiller

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You Bert,

Do you think I should be able to manually rotate the tines ? I don't wanna try & maybe break something.

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has a GX 31 Honda 4 stroke, been working to revive this mini-tiller a neighbor gifted me with.

Does anyone know if the engine oil is what also oils the gear box on the tiller below ?

I don't have an owners manual.

Should I be able to manually rotate the tines ? I don't wanna try & maybe break something.

So far I have cleaned gas tank, replaced carb & all gas lines, filters etc. has spark, but don't know the gap ?

I'm about ready to test fire this baby up.

Any help would be MOST appreciated.

Link to owner's manual download here: (be sure to get the one that matches your serial number): [url]http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals/tillers/mini-tiller[/URL]

The engine uses SAE 10W-30 oil, and has a maximum capacity of 3.4 ounces. Follow the procedure in the manual to properly check/add oil. Careful: It is easy to overfill!

The gearbox does not use gear oil, but should be filled with NLGI #2 General Purpose Grease. There's a detailed procedure on how to add grease also in the owner's manual (You'll need a grease gun).

The FG100 has a centrifugal-type clutch that drives a worm gear (see yellow highlight), that mates to a gear on the tine shaft (see pink highlight). It would be impossible to turn the tine(s) shaft. Now if you remove the gearbox from the tiller, you should be able to manually turn the worm gear / clutch and get the tine(s) shaft to move just fine.

30896486235_e4bd315d86_o.png

Might find a factory shop manual helpful if you need to get much deeper...Honda sells paper-only copies via eBay and Amazon (free shipping).

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert- Thank You Sir for your detailed reply & schematic, I have the correct owners manual now & I see the greasing procedure for the gearbox.:thumbsup:

I only inquired about rotating the tine shaft, because of it sitting a long time. So no, I can't turn it. Which makes sense now. I did call Honda in Georgia this morning (770/497/6400) & they told me the tine shaft should be able to rotate by hand with force. Doh !!! Glad I didn't have time to try this.

This makes me feel I am closer to starting this up (after greasing gearbox first, of course) & I have a few grease guns. And I already changed the 3.4 oz of engine oil.

Thank You again Sir. Buddy

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ahhh, that Sweet Honda mini-tiller runs super. Started on 1/2 pull of the rope, been sitting since November, course I prepped it for storage.

But tilled up our garden like nobody's business. :thumbsup:

jp1961

Threads
Nice to have neighbors that gave you a tiller, for free. About the only thing my neighbors give me are loud noises when I'm trying to sleep,,,lol. I'd buy them a six pack of beer at a minimum.:laughing:

Regards

Jeff

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jeff- If you saw it at first, it looked ready for the trash bin. But it had Spark & good compression, so I gave it a good clean up & then started reviving it back to life.

Neighbor couldn't believe it was even the same mini-Tiller when he saw it & tilling away.

But he's not mechanical. But he's ok & a quiet neighbor.

jp1961

Threads
It pays to learn how to repair small air cooled engines. Half the time it's just a gummed up carb or rotted fuel lines causing them not to start. I've made a hobby out of converting thrown out weed whackers and chainsaws into R/C airplane engines, usually a simple conversion. Here is a pic of a 25cc "Homie" (trash picked) on one of my airplanes.

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00097 (33).jpg
    DSC00097 (33).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jeff- I agree with you, when I was a young kid, maybe 7 yrs old or so, my Dad started me by wiping off his wrenches. I didn't realize then I was also learning the diff between a 1/4" open end wrench & a 3/4" box end wrench.

I dig that "Homie" airplane, you're very creative. My last wacker (Troy-Bilt) had the spark plug on the very bottom. Your plane reminded me of that.

The carb & lines were so bad it was like they were filled with super glue. But I splurged :laughing: & got an $9. carb & lines off ebay from china. So I have about $10. invested, not counting my time, which is only about 2 hours.