Mower not Starting 917.28927

davidsonralph

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Craftsman model 917.28927 that will not start. At first I thought it was the solenoid as there was no clicking. Replaced the solenoid and still not working. I moved on to the ignition switch. I noticed no power to the hour meter or headlights when in the "run position". I jumped from the battery to the starter and got the mower started but the hours meter/head lights still no power. I pulled the ignition switch and found no continuity from the B(battery) to the L(lights) in the run position. The starter does have continuity when turned to the switch is turned to the "start" position. I wanted to run this by you guys to make sure I have properly diagnosed this problem. I am assuming it is not starting because the switch is bad from B to L, I am guessing it must power the solenoid as well? Either way a new ignition switch should fix this I am hoping.

Scott

davidsonralph

Forum Newbie
Threads
....and I just found the ignition switch schematic for my mower and the continuity for the lights in the ignition switch goes from "L + A2" not L+B. I do have this continuity so I guess I will begin checking safety switches...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
continuity doesn't tell you if the switch is drawing enough amperage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First things first,
Are you getting battery voltage on the B wire ?
If not follow it back to the fuse and check both side of the fuse holder.
As you have already been told. a test lamp is a better tool than the multimeter for checking the switch.
The lights usually work directly off the AC feed from the alternator so connecting the alternator (A ) to the lights (L) is correct if the lights are not independantly switchable.
There is usually 2 feed wires off the alternator on the most common alternator, a DC feed which goes back to the battery via the ignition switch & an AC feed which goes only to the lights.
The lights only work off the battery on late models with a real rectifier on the alternator.
It would be helpful if you posted the engine maker and the engine numbers.

davidsonralph

Forum Newbie
Threads
Though I would update this. It turned out to be the wiring harness for the lights. Mower will not start without the continuity to the lights....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT wont be the lights.
Pennys to pounds some twat has wired the fuel solenoid into the lights circuit.
Half the Craftsmen I work on have the lights disconnected and to service most of them you unplug the lights & remove the hood.
To start the fuel solenoid must be energised.
On mowers without a bridge rectifier the the lights run direct AC.
The solenoid won't like that.