Vari-drive information request

jmelton86

Threads
14AT809H766 with the vari-drive system. *see attachment

I recently changed both drive belts with MTD p#'s and the mower drove as it should for about 5 minutes (I was so happy LoL) then the pedal went to the floor and the mower stopped moving again.

I checked all pulleys/ "throttle" linkage/ etc and it seemed like the belt magically grew a few inches. If I pressed the "throttle" pedal hard enough, the belt would start smoking on the front crank pulley -almost like it was JUST tight enough to rub the pulley (and smoke) but, not hard enough to move the mower. I jacked the rear end off the ground and the wheels would turn but, not with them on the ground and loaded down.

After scratching my head and cursing a LOT I found this YouTube video that seems to be my exact same issue.
https://youtu.be/Ya_IYt-psGE

So, I plan on ordering the vari-drive pulley and going from there.

My question for you guys is, going by the image of the drive system I have attached, what all should I order along with the pulley to do it all at once. Diagram reference numbers are requested. *The pulley itself is #47.
TIA

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 16

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the book specify that you can order the pulley only or are you getting a complete assembly? If that's an unknown I would be getting more information from the supplier before ordering.

On line/ordering is usually much too vague for my taste.

jmelton86

Threads
As far as I know, parts (by diagram #) have to be ordered separately -unless there is a kit available that I'm unaware of.

What I do is get the OE p# and buy from wherever is less expensive. Usually Amazon.

What I'm wanting to know is, for the guys who have experience with this vari-drive pulley and system, what all I should order along with the pulley (#47 on the diagram) so I can have everything I need to do it at once.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as I know, parts (by diagram #) have to be ordered separately -unless there is a kit available that I'm unaware of.

What I do is get the OE p# and buy from wherever is less expensive. Usually Amazon.

What I'm wanting to know is, for the guys who have experience with this vari-drive pulley and system, what all I should order along with the pulley (#47 on the diagram) so I can have everything I need to do it at once.
I have experienced 1 of those systems for a neighbor on an older model that had the speed control lever on the dash.

Hopefully I never see at another one but I did order all the internal components from Jack's. Did not purchase a new pulley.

And I do know for a fact the moveable pulley can stick/freeze to the shaft. With both belts removed from the variator, the moveable pulley should move with a light touch of the fingers.

If you can provide me with a parts break down of all the parts to that pulley I can tell you what parts to order so you will have all the parts to do it at once.

jmelton86

Threads
I don't think the pulley can be broken down into individual parts -per the parts breakdown I attached on the original post.

I plan on ordering the pulley assembly (#47 on the attached parts breakdown from the original post) as well as anything else I may need.

What else would you order off of the breakdown? I'd like to have everything in hand before repairing the mower.

jmelton86

Threads
Is it #44 that I need? Pulley bearing cup?

I really have no idea here. Anyone done this before that can shed some light?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Each machine is different. You need to look at the parts and see what really needs replaced. I personally would look at all parts starting with 40 all the way through 47. Idler pulleys #35 (3 of them) also need tested for free spinning and no noise.

jmelton86

Threads
I understand what you're saying. Most people would remove the assembly to see exactly what the issue is but, I'm the kind of person that would rather have everything in-hand when I disassemble it. That way I can knock it out at the time. I'd rather replace more than I have to -just so I know I won't have to tear it back down later.

Before coming to the conclusion that he vari-drive pulley assembly thing is bad, I did check out all other pulleys, brackets, linkage, etc and found nothing out of the ordinary. I was honestly frustrated because I had just replaced the belts and wasn't expecting any issues. That was before I found the video I linked to in the original post. I've never heard of the vari-drive system (or anything like it before.

I guess I'm going to order all the parts around the pulley (minus bolts/nuts because I can get them at the local hardware store for WAY less if I need them) and go from there.

I guess I was hoping maybe someone has done this repair on this particular model.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the pedal goes strait to the flloor with no resistance, a spring has fallen off or is in the wrong position or a bolt has fallen out.
If the pulley is totally buggered, the mower will still drive and the belt won't go slack.
The front belt pulls against the rear belt which has a constant spring pressure on it.
By varying the load applied by the pedal, the belt that is pulling hardest against the varidrive pulley will force the sliding sheave away & thus turn on a smaller diameter.

So something you did properly, has come undone.

It is usually the short top belt, because it is the hardest to get at and on a lot of insallations you have to drop the tranny to get the belt on the pulley.
If that is your installation ( Vari drive at the far back ) then the prime suspect is the top belt tension pulley & I would guess you have not put the spring back in the correct position or the spring ( or pivot) has fallen off.
If you insist on throwing a lot of money at it just note that the diagram is wrong and the 3 pulleys all marked 35 are not the same, one of then is flat & two are V.

So get back under there with a good strong light and recheck.
I always mark spring anchor points with a paint pen and take photos before anything gets pulled off because the same frame is used for dozens of different mowers so there are holes all over the place and it is real easy to slip the spring into the wrong hole

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I do know for a fact the moveable pulley can stick/freeze to the shaft. With both belts removed from the variator, the moveable pulley should move with a light touch of the fingers.
I don't think you are listening and you don't really have any idea what is wrong.