Engine Winter Prep

DWavs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all! Excellent forum...I used the info here to buy my Exmark Lazer Z E-Series 60" w/ a Kohler ECV 740 EFI engine this spring. I retired a residential 42" Cub Cadet Zero Turn that I was using for 15 years and am loving the Exmark!! Couple of winter prep questions.

1. I used to drain the carb on the Cub Cadet prior to winter so fuel wasn't sitting in there. Am I correct that there is nothing I need to do since this engine is an EFI?

2. I used to pull the battery from the Cub Cadet to trickle it over the winter since it was stored outside under a tarp. We added a 12' x 20' carport this summer to store equipment such as the Exmark, ATV's, ect. It is open on one end and does not have a heat source. Should I still pull the battery and trickle it or head out and start the Exmark once a week? I'm in Virginia so the temps aren't too brutal.

Thanks for any help!

David

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
The answer to first question is yes, I use a quality brand fuel treatment mixed with gas per instructions on bottle to take care of ethanol problem. Disconnect negative cable from battery & trickle charge over winter.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use only 100% gas with correct mix of Seafoam to stabilize my fuel, & make sure to run it long enough to get the 'mix' fully tru the system..

Starting an engine for only brief times thru winter just adds condensation to the engine internals & results in water accumulation in the oil. Better it sleeps after proper prep.

I'm sure you know about the clean up & yada, yada etc.

Take the battery inside & put it on a Battery MINDer* or tender. Left outside & discharged it can freeze.