1806 switch dead, nothing lights on panel

gopedal

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 1806 switch does nothing when I turn it on. Yes, the fuse is blown and blows immediately when I turn the key to on. Connected, the black wire is grounded. Unconnected to the switch it is not. In the first case the key has to be on. I'm suspicious of the relay but just hate buying parts and then finding out I didn't need them. Can anyone show me a wiring diagram of this switch? Can anyone give me some ideas about what to try to diagnose the problem? Thanks.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
First thought its not a relay. Its a direct short somewhere. 12 volts to ground. My zmaster did that 2 times over the 2100 hours on it. Once was the fuel selnode wire was grounded out to the frame second was the key switch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On this page somewhere should be youe service manual resplendant with a wiring diagram.
If it is a new MTD Cub then you can get the wiring diagram form the Cub cadet website where the diagram will be in the parts book.

gopedal

Forum Newbie
Threads
On this page somewhere should be youe service manual resplendant with a wiring diagram.
If it is a new MTD Cub then you can get the wiring diagram form the Cub cadet website where the diagram will be in the parts book.

I finally found the problem. The alternator or charging module or whatever it is called must be grounded out. As soon as I unplugged it everything went normal. It is a dead short in there somewhere. Over the winter I'll pull the thing apart and see if I have a grounded wire or bad part.

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The rectifier can go bad, dead short, but that is fairly rare.
What is more common is the power return wire from the rectifier to short out somewhere.
If your mower has the usual Kohler engine Cub generally fit it will the the wire ( purple usually ) in the middle of that 3 pin plug you just undid.