Adding wheel bearings

yoster

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a Huskee push mower (from tractor supply store). It has a Kohler XT-7 on it, which is much heavier than what I've had in the past.

I had a Husqvarna (however you spell it) with an XT-6 for a little while, and it pushed quite nice due both to the lighter engine, but in my opinion the wheel bearings made a HUGE difference.

So here's the question, can you add wheel bearings to mowers that don't already have them? I've done a lot of google searching and can't seem to come up with anything. Even 'replacement wheels' from lowes and whatnot are all non-bearing.

Thoughts/ideas? Also apologize if this is an obvious question.. first time 'modding' any mower.. I've always just bought them, and use them as-is.

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and Welcome to LMF....
I think your largest gain, or in your case loss, is Weight... The lighter the load, the easier to move.
While wheel bearings will roll with less effort, the bushings that are in the wheels you have do not take a lot more effort to move the same load...

You can find wheels with roller or ball bearings.... in any size and load rating. But I don't think you will notice a lot of difference pushing... If you converted the front wheels to swiveled assemblies, it would be handier... BUT the push load will remain about the same...

Going to bearing wheels is a good move, IF you come across some wheels for little or nothing... or if you have to replace the old wheels. :smile:KennyV

yoster

Threads
Who carries them? Again, I've done quite a bit of searching with no luck.

I've found wheels w/bearings, but they weren't lawn mower wheels.. (dolly wheels, wagon wheels, etc). Much too heavy/overbuilt for a push mower (I don't need solid steel rims for my mower wheels lol)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I've found wheels w/bearings, but they weren't lawn mower wheels.. (dolly wheels, wagon wheels, etc). Much too heavy/overbuilt for a push mower (I don't need solid steel rims for my mower wheels lol)

You can find 'some' light weight wheels and assemblies, at most material handeling suppliers...

The problem you will have is finding a wheel with a very light load limit, (like a push mower wheel) and still have bearings for a heavy load spec for the light wheel...

Your easiest path would be to use your existing wheel, determine the largest OD standard bearing size that you can bore in your wheel... then select the thickness, (height), that will allow you space for mounting 2, one on the inside and one on the outside...
You can drill for a grease zerk, or use sealed bearings.... look for Flanged Mini Ball Bearing with an ID of your axle size...
You will end up with a light weight wheel with bearings able to withstand MANY times the load the wheel will take.
This will be the most economical approach, may not be worth the effort in the long run... But could be a fun project... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been thinking the same thing -- that the wheels on my push mowers would be much better with sealed ball bearings. The advantages would be less frequent maintenance as well as lower rolling resistance.

It might be necessary (and easier, overall) to replace the axle to fit the available bearings.

hoehappa

Threads

WW GRAINGER SHOULD have them

LandN

Threads
i have pressed bearing wheels on my john deere 22' walk behind mower and the difference compared to my other non-bearing wheeled mowers is a big difference in ease of handling pushing etc. maybe you can adapt another brand mower wheels with bearings on your current axle. i'm not convinced on caster front wheels though especially traversing sideways on hilly ground,its difficult to keep a straight cutting line unless the casters are lockable.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
i have pressed bearing wheels on my john deere 22' walk behind mower

i'm not convinced on caster front wheels though especially traversing sideways on hilly ground,its difficult to keep a straight cutting line unless the casters are lockable.

Those little wheel bearings are probably mini flange bearings, hat bearings, they are economical and will last forever with the light load they typically encounter on a push mower....

Your likely right about casters on hills... didn't think about that, ... mostly flat here in Kansas... :smile:KennyV

yoster

Threads
Well it sounds like the first step is for me to pull one of the wheels off to see what can be done. I was hoping it was just a matter of removing a bushing and replacing it with a bearing (I was initially thinking a hat bearing).

If I end up doing it I'll let you all know how it goes!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys,

I have a Huskee push mower (from tractor supply store). It has a Kohler XT-7 on it, which is much heavier than what I've had in the past.

I had a Husqvarna (however you spell it) with an XT-6 for a little while, and it pushed quite nice due both to the lighter engine, but in my opinion the wheel bearings made a HUGE difference.

So here's the question, can you add wheel bearings to mowers that don't already have them? I've done a lot of google searching and can't seem to come up with anything. Even 'replacement wheels' from lowes and whatnot are all non-bearing.

Thoughts/ideas? Also apologize if this is an obvious question.. first time 'modding' any mower.. I've always just bought them, and use them as-is.

Thanks

The vast majority of today's push mowers sold new have plastic wheels that fit on a steel wheel adjuster spindle. Every time I buy a new mower, and once a year during the mowing season, and when I store each push mower for the winter, I remove the wheels and lube the steel spindle and the inside of the plastic wheel hub with heavy grease. It does not make the pushing much easier, but it DOES appear to help keep the friction between spindle and wheel to a minimum. The first new push mower I purchased was back about 1983, and it had no bearings on the wheels. Don't think I have ever seen any.

And, if your push mower is front wheel self propelled, good luck finding ball bearing wheels that have the drive gears molded in.