Repairs Lawnboy 10523 Self Propelled 3 speed transmission binds hard to shift

fkovacic

Threads
  • / Lawnboy 10523 Self Propelled 3 speed transmission binds hard to shift
Hi, I have a Lawnboy model 10523, 1997, 3 speed self propelled transmission that is difficult to shift between gears with the control cable. I have take the cable off and lubricated it at the top and bottom with a penatrating lubricant. I also took off the transmission selector from the transmission gear and cleaned it. It has improved but not that much. I don't know how easy it should be to shift through the 3 gears but I would imagine it should be fairly easy, mine binds when trying to shift. Is there fluid that the transmission gear unit should be filled with, if so with what? I suspect it has to do with the gears inside that transmission. I have a belt driven transmission. I have also tried shifting the transmission by hand without the shifter cable attached and it binds. What do I need to do to make it shift easier??

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

fkovacic

Threads

fkovacic

Threads
Hi Mark, I appreciate your fedback. I will try what you suggested and let you know how I made out. Thank you again.

One question I do have is what type is gear fluid or grease would I be using once I remove the gear cover. Thank you Mark for your help.

fkovacic

Threads
One question I do have is what type is gear fluid or grease would I be using once I remove the gear cover. Thank you Mark for your help.

Hi Mark, just to update you. I had a chance to open up the cover of the self propelled gear assembly and when I removed the cover it looked like some water came out. It was filled with grease. I think because there was some water in it gear box this obviously may have corroded the mechnism that shifts the gears. I didn't have time but I am going to have to clean everything up and fill it with new grease. I did not see that anything was broken. So I hope once I clean it up it will operate easier. Would you know what type of grease I should put inside. Would bearing grease be okay, the kind you would use to repack hub wheel bearings for cars. Is there anything I should watch for when I am cleaning and packing it with grease. Also is there anything I can do to prevent moisture/water from entering the gear assembly? Thank you for all your advice and help.