ZTR for about $3500 - We read, we visited dealers, but are confused

jezbeliverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / ZTR for about $3500 - We read, we visited dealers, but are confused
Hey,

This is Jezbel. My husband and I have been searching for a ZTR for months, but only get more confused with all the brands, especially since so many seem to sound similar.

We moved to my husbands family home near Conroe, TX in the Houston area and it is like a jungle.

We have about 4 or 5 acres of land that we either have overgrown grass or areas in which we will plant grass, either ways, grass will need to be cut and maintained.

Our land is flat, but not manicured.

We have been to dealers all over, and spent time reading, but oh my, it has got so confusing.

So, we need your help. I am a student and he works had for a reasonable pay. We have a budget of about $3500.

In your esteemed opinions, which brand or model should we consider? We value good quality, good warranty, ease of use, and good value for money. We don't need to keep up with our neighbors, so I don't care if the brand is not the most prestigious (heh heh I learned that in marketing class) if it offers more for less.

We will all of you to our holiday list, I bake great cookies and home made pie, and we wear ugly sweaters for our holiday card :) :)

thanks
Jezbel

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey,

This is Jezbel. My husband and I have been searching for a ZTR for months, but only get more confused with all the brands, especially since so many seem to sound similar.

We moved to my husbands family home near Conroe, TX in the Houston area and it is like a jungle.

We have about 4 or 5 acres of land that we either have overgrown grass or areas in which we will plant grass, either ways, grass will need to be cut and maintained.

Our land is flat, but not manicured.

We have been to dealers all over, and spent time reading, but oh my, it has got so confusing.

So, we need your help. I am a student and he works had for a reasonable pay. We have a budget of about $3500.

In your esteemed opinions, which brand or model should we consider? We value good quality, good warranty, ease of use, and good value for money. We don't need to keep up with our neighbors, so I don't care if the brand is not the most prestigious (heh heh I learned that in marketing class) if it offers more for less.

We will all of you to our holiday list, I bake great cookies and home made pie, and we wear ugly sweaters for our holiday card :) :)

thanks
Jezbel

In my opinion, with what you have described I'd start looking at Craigslist in your area and find a good commercial grade mower with low hours. Something like the Toro Z Master or Hustler Fastrak SDX or maybe the Hustler X One. Something with a Kawasaki 730 or 850 engine. With a budget of 3500$ your not going to get much of anything but a residential mower. The Hustler Raptor SD is there residential ztr and there going some where in and around 3900$.

DK35vince

Threads
In my opinion, with what you have described I'd start looking at Craigslist in your area and find a good commercial grade mower with low hours. Something like the Toro Z Master or Hustler Fastrak SDX or maybe the Hustler X One. Something with a Kawasaki 730 or 850 engine. With a budget of 3500$ your not going to get much of anything but a residential mower. The Hustler Raptor SD is there residential ztr and there going some where in and around 3900$.
+1
$3500 is going to get you a low end residential mower and it may not last very long mowing 4 or 5 acres IMO.

dcgrazier

Threads
I think you have some options to consider. First, I also think craigslist has possibilities. My first ZTR was one I found on craigslist. It was a Scag Turf Tiger with 500 hours on the clock. I paid $2100.00 for it. It was an awesome mower. Another option is to talk to dealers about a demo mower. These mowers will be used but have low hours. Dealers like to get rid of them at the end of the season and will often give you a good deal. I would stay away from residential mowers. Look for commercial or semi professional mowers. For the amount of land you have, you will need something that was built for many hours of use. A residential mower will not last long and I do not think you will be happy with its operation.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor SD and mow 4 acres with it. I bought it this summer and love it. Mows great, and I found out it mulches leaves too. Used it today in a section of yard with 3 large maple trees, and you could not see any grass when I started mowing. 15 minutes later, you could not see any leaves. Was extremely pleased on leaf handling.

I would also consider a Bobcat XRZ. Has a 6 year, 600 hour warranty. Has commercial drives, 22" wheels, nice mower. I've seen them on sale recently below $4K. If you have a dealer near you, check them out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At this time of year, check the dealers daily.
Most mowers are stocked on credit with the hope of selling it before they have to pay for it.
The closer it gets to due date the cheaper they become.
Down here a lot of mower shops will happily sell a mower at cost the day before payment is due.
However, once they have paid for it , discounts are out of the question.
Most business use end of month so the last banking day before the end of the month is the best time for a great deal.

NorthBama

Threads
+1
$3500 is going to get you a low end residential mower and it may not last very long mowing 4 or 5 acres IMO.

+2 I use a Toro Z Master commercial line

jezbeliverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I appreciate your replies. We have upped our budget to about 5-6k, as it seems that is a sweet spot for most semi commercial ZTRs.

Given this, any thoughts on which brand/model we should opt for?

Is this a good time of the year to buy? Or does it really not matter?

Much appreciated,
Jezbel

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As in post # 6.
It is all about cash flow and when the dealers have to pay for their stock.
Once they have paid then they will hang on till next season and stick them out front $ 500 or so below current season prices.
While it is on the shop floor at the expense of the manufacturer they will wheel & deal.
These will change daily.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I know around here, it is great time to buy. Dealers need to get rid of the mowers to make room for snowblowers and plows.

With the new budget, you will have plenty of choices. The same brands, but better models. The Hustler Fastrak and Fastrak SD would be good mowers. Scag has some great mowers as well. And Bobcat has the longest warranty. I would shop a major brand from a dealer close to you that you are comfortable with. Service will make the difference. The mowers are all good at your price point.