Question for Robert....

rac1201

Forum Newbie
Threads

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On another website, I was reading that a person called Honda customer service and was told specifically not to use Shell Rotella oil in their generators because of some possibility of corrosion due to the sulfur dioxide in the oil reacting with the aluminum. Any truth to this?

Here's the link to the discussion:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u...46/Can't_use_Rotella_Oil_with_Hon#Post4236146

It is my understanding HDEO products are primary engineered for diesel engines, mostly, and their chemistry perhaps isn't the best choice for an all-aluminum engine. All current homeowner Honda mower engines are 100% aluminum. Frankly, I don't know enough about oil to 'rule out' HDEO oils, but I do know Honda only recommends SAE 10W-30 API Service Category SJ (or better).

Beyond that, there are just two simple rules to remember about oil in your Honda lawn mower engines:

(Rule #1): Use SAE 10W-30; it does NOT matter if is it synthetic or petroleum based.
(Rule #2): Change it per the Maintenance Schedule; don't buy into any hype some special oil can 'allow' you to extend the change interval. That's total BS.