Problems with 2008 tiger Cub finally resolved!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
Had been having problems with the L/H drive side with it hesitating going into reverse, so last spring I replaced the L/H pump, but the problem was still there.
Briggs engine developed an oil leak at the sump gasket which continued to get worse. This is the 2nd engine on this machine. I removed the engine, removed the sump and replaced the gasket with a kit from Briggs. I replaced the clutch while I was at it as the clutch was oil soaked and the bearings were rough. Still had the L/H side reversing problem which was getting worse. I just replaced the L/H wheel motor and checked the hyd oil filter for foreign material, but found none.
So I'm back together with a smooth running no leaks machine. Well somewhat!!! Long story short, the engine started acting like it was running out of fuel. The element in the long fuel filter was spinning around at various engine RPM. The element had got the normal bulge to it but shortened and let some particles enter the carb. Cleaned the carb after testing the entire fuel system, installed a short(regular) fuel filter and now all is well. I hope!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:
845 hours on this machine, 370 on current engine

Last edited:

mcdonell

Threads
Good thing your the mechanic and the owner. Saves significant amounts of time and money. Hope all is taking care of now for a long time.

clay45

Threads
So the " L/H side reversing problem" is gone due to changing out the LH Wheel Motor? Sorry Mackie; I got turned around while reading it and still am not sure.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
As you are sitting on the machine, while operating the machine from straight forward direction, as I moved the levers thru neutral and then reverse, the left drive wheel would hesitate to respond and then peel out in reverse so to speak tearing up turf. While mowing sideways on a hill, I lost control of the machine several times due to this problem.
In the spring I had replaced the L/H pump, (under the seat) but this didn't correct the problem. The problem got worse over the summer, so I bought a Hydro-Gear wheel motor of the part number for my Tiger Cub and replaced the motor. Problem went away. I did remove the hyd oil filter, cut it open and checked for foreign material and found none, installed new filter.
I did get myself in a habit of compensating for this problem and I am in the process of 'retraining' myself.
The left rear wheel is mounted onto the L/H wheel motor.

Last edited:

clay45

Threads
That makes sense even to me. Thanks!