321D metal hopper setup on a 428D?

Gumbrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey guys, have a year 2004, 321d with the model 16 metal hopper, lever actuated collector with associated model 161 blower/vac. Definitely a great machine, although I feel its a bit overloaded with the added stress and weight of the 61inch deck, blower/vac, and hopper implement system. When Running the machine full throttle, if I engage the hydro's in full forward motion, the machine will bog down enough that running through leaves in a mild pace is slow and tiresome. All the added weight, and stress seem too much for the 21 hp kubota. I have 1000 hours, the engine is healthy and maintained, fuel system free flowing. Searching this topic has lead to other owners having the same issues. I have an opportunity to purchase a 428d, (same era as the 321d) with the benefit of the larger 28hp kubota which owners report,"Just won't bog down" and sell off my 321. I primarily use this mower with the leaf collection system. Just tired of waiting for it to catch up if i go through some dense leaves...

Talked to a grasshopper technical representative and he stated I would need a different bracket setup to utilize my hopper on the 428. He needed serial numbers from both machines to make this conclusion. He then sent me schematics of both hopper bracket setups on the lawnmowers. They look a bit cosmetically different although they both appear to have the same, "bolt on frame positions", (3 bolts over the wheel motors) give or take a hole or two toward the rear end of the frame. Do the 300 and 400 series share the same frame dimensions?

My question is, has anybody out there done this? Used a 321d hopper setup with associated brackets on a 428D? Or opt to upgrade from a 300 series to 400 series and transfer their hoppers? Did the hopper fit or did you need to extent it outwards and widen the stance? Does anyone have pictures of a 428 with the hopper and dimensions? Do the dimensions of the rear hoods in the 300 to 400 series play a role in this? Might the 428 series hood interfere with the hopper that brackets are those suited for a 321?

I can work with the guy going back and forth with measurements, although asking here on the forums is a great option as well...

Now, why don't I go ahead and see for myself and bring my setup along with me? Guy is 2 hours away and I really want it to be the absolute last resort option.