Engine JD D-140 Won't Even Crank... Switch Problem

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All...

While cutting some 8.0' high White Weed, a small tree fell over and stuck on top of the Reverse Pedal. I backed-out of the jungle, then drove back to the house. No Problems.

When I tried to restart the engine, it wouldn't even crank. I called JD Customer Service who relayed me to a local dealer. They told me it was possibly the Reverse Switch beneath the frame; but couldn't point me any closer. Does anyone have a photo of where this switch is ?

I'd also like to know how to access the Fuel Level Indicator so I can clean any grass and debris from it. JD Customer Service tells me that this may be the problem for Intermittent Reading of my Fuel Level. Help me if you can.

Thank You !

edv7028
Seguin, Texas

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you get no response from here consider buying the JD technical manual.
People scream blue murder about the price but they are excellent, comprehensive and even have diagrams in the electrical section that shows exactly where every part is, where the connector for that part is and how to test it, At the start of every section there is a "theory of operation" that clearly explains how the whole lot works so you know what to do & why you are doing it,
The book will pay for itself the very first time you don't take your mower to the shop and when you sell ( even if it is totally wrecked ) you will get a price substantially above the general level and 2 to 3 times the price you paid for the manual.

I sell a few used ones down here and will get $ 500 ( Aust) more if I include a $ 100 manual + a printout of the free owners book.
Found that out by accident so everything that I sell through Evilbay / gumtreee/ craigslist etc has a print out of the technical manual.

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you get no response from here consider buying the JD technical manual.
People scream blue murder about the price but they are excellent, comprehensive and even have diagrams in the electrical section that shows exactly where every part is, where the connector for that part is and how to test it, At the start of every section there is a "theory of operation" that clearly explains how the whole lot works so you know what to do & why you are doing it,
The book will pay for itself the very first time you don't take your mower to the shop and when you sell ( even if it is totally wrecked ) you will get a price substantially above the general level and 2 to 3 times the price you paid for the manual.

I sell a few used ones down here and will get $ 500 ( Aust) more if I include a $ 100 manual + a printout of the free owners book.
Found that out by accident so everything that I sell through Evilbay / gumtreee/ craigslist etc has a print out of the technical manual.

Thank You !

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think that it my have bent your Reverse Pedal just enough to not make contact any more with the switch. Follow the pedal under the mower till you find the switch. It is under there but exactly where will be a hunt and find type of ordeal.

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello & Thank You. I got it.

It turned-out to be one of those rarities... the main fuse. It appeared to be intact; but after checking the hour meter, I noticed that it didn't have any numbers on it, so... a bad fuse.

Thank You All

edv7028
"Your mind is like a parachute. It works better when it's open !"

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think that it my have bent your Reverse Pedal just enough to not make contact any more with the switch. Follow the pedal under the mower till you find the switch. It is under there but exactly where will be a hunt and find type of ordeal.

Hi Again...

Any idea as to how I can clean-out the area where the Fuel Indicator Pivot is located ? The JD CSR tells me that it's between the frame and the Fuel Tank. I'm guessing that the entire frame has to be lifted for access. The Fuel Indicator is Intermittent. Even when the tank is completely empty, the indicator can remain stuck at the top, indicating a full tank. Not very reliable.

Thanks !

edv7028

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Again...

Any idea as to how I can clean-out the area where the Fuel Indicator Pivot is located ? The JD CSR tells me that it's between the frame and the Fuel Tank. I'm guessing that the entire frame has to be lifted for access. The Fuel Indicator is Intermittent. Even when the tank is completely empty, the indicator can remain stuck at the top, indicating a full tank. Not very reliable.

Thanks !

edv7028

It will be under the frame if memory serves me. It may not serve me correctly.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fuel sending units are inside of the gas tank not on the outside of it. How could it tell how much fuel if it was not in the gas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blas,
Please please check before you post or if you don't know don't post

Ed
Assuming you have one of the models with a black bar under the seat that raises & lowers as the fuel level changes.
This system works by suspending the fuel tank on a spring.
As the weight of the fuel decreases the tank rises & the indicator which is on a bell crank lowers.
Remove both rear wheels.
While they are off clean the axels and coat with some bentonite ( light brown ) axel grease to prevent rusting.
With the wheels off blow out the debris with an air duster.
Also check that the long black support that goes across the frame is in good condition.
They tend to break , mostly on the right side if you give the deck a hard smack in the full height position
This should be your fuel tank http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
The part that breaks is number 12
If it breaks on the right side, I usually slip the older, plain steel saddle clamp under it.
If it breaks on the left, it will give unreliable fuel readings and will need replacing.
Note the support is only held in by 1 bolt on each end ( # 16 in dia ) and they generally break where the tounge slips into a square hole in the frame rail.
And I repeat my initial suggestion about the manual.

The early models had a window so you could see the height of the fuel & was a much better system which only goes to prove the engineering maximum
No simple system works so well that it can not be made unreliable by making it more complicated.

And not trying to sound smug, the D model is not a rough cut mower it is designed for finely manicuring the grounds on my Lords mannar.

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fuel sending units are inside of the gas tank not on the outside of it. How could it tell how much fuel if it was not in the gas?

Hi There...

I'm thinking the same way you are but the JD CSR told me that the Indicator located between your knees below the seat is on a pivot point under the frame that can get clogged with grass and debris. I asked if it worked on magnetics; but she didn't know.

Thanks !

edv7028