Engine JD D-140 Won't Even Crank... Switch Problem

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I first started looking into this all I could find was automotive style fuel pumps for your mower. Sending unit is attached to them and they sit in the tank. After looking again this morning I am not sure my search worked at all yesterday. I am inclined to believe Bert on this. His above post sounds logical. I normally do not speak of others post but I think he is correct.

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I first started looking into this all I could find was automotive style fuel pumps for your mower. Sending unit is attached to them and they sit in the tank. After looking again this morning I am not sure my search worked at all yesterday. I am inclined to believe Bert on this. His above post sounds logical. I normally do not speak of others post but I think he is correct.

Hello & Thanks Again to All...

I'm still in the dark as to how to get to the Fuel Indicator Pivot so that I can clean it out and let it swing properly and give me a good Fuel Reading.

Thanks !

edv7028

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture attached. I hope this helps.
johndeere.jpg

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picture attached. I hope this helps.
View attachment 30262

Thank You !!! This makes it SO Easy to find. I wonder why the JD CSR couldn't have done the same.

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you put into this for me.

Have a Great Day and Thanks Again !

Gratefully,

edv7028

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello & Thanks Again to All...

I'm still in the dark as to how to get to the Fuel Indicator Pivot so that I can clean it out and let it swing properly and give me a good Fuel Reading.

Thanks !

edv7028

I told you in post # 9
Pull off both rear wheels
The fuel indicator is right there in front of your eyes,
Well in front of my eyes because I put the rear axel on 20" high stands so I can sit on a seat.
Looks like the link to the parts page did not work, however if you type d140 ( note no spaces) in the little window at the top it will bring up your mower as a clickable link.
Click on the line that looks like this 10445 - D140 100 Series Tractor - 02Nov16 ( FR DE IT ES )
Then click on this Sectional Index
Then click on this 30 - Fuel And Air
Then click on this 20 - Fuel Tank (100001 - )
Note there are 4 fuel tank diagrams ( 17-18-19-20)
17 is the first type without the idiot fuel level indicator
18-19-20 are the new type
18 & 20 are the same
19, the image Blaz posted is the same tank, but a different image including the California only charcoal filter and showing the fuel indicator as disconnected parts.

IF you bought the digital version of the technical manual which you would have by now , then you could have read the :-
THEORY OF OPERATION
The rear of the fuel tank ( Part 1 ) sits in a channel in the frame which allows it to pivot up and down at the front end.
The front end of the fuel tank sits on the foot of the indicator arm ( part 11 )
The indicator arm itself pivots on the support base ( part 12 )
The front of the fuel tank is held up by a pair of springs ( part 13 ) which span from an anchor point on the fender ( not shown in this diagram ) to bushes ( part 7) over protrusions moulded into the tank and fastened by a spring clip ( part 6).
AS fuel is placed into the tank , the weight of the fuel tank increases causing it to stretch the springs allowing it to depress the arm which being a bell crank causing the visible indicator to rise.

If you use the link to the JD parts diagrams and ferret a bit you might also find section 85 - Mower Deck And Lift Linkage
Clicking on that will reveal subsection 44 - Mower Deck Lift Linkage

PAY ATTENTION THIS IS IMPORTANT

This diagram is wrong it is for the previous model ( first fuel tank diagram 17 ) without the fuel indicator.
The deck lift rod ( part 21 ) is incorrectly named "universal driveshaft".
On the older system it is retained by a pair of steel saddle clamps ( part 15 )
On your mower the deck lift rod is retained by the support base ( part 12 in the previous diagram ) which is plastic.
if the deck is given a hard whack when on a high cut position the lift rod ( part 21 ) hits the plastic support base and it breaks as mentioned way back in a previous post
Grass accumulates between the indicator arm & the support.
It also accumulates under the fuel tank with the same effect.
Don't forget to grease the axle or the wheels will rust solid to the axle.

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
I told you in post # 9
Pull off both rear wheels
The fuel indicator is right there in front of your eyes,
Well in front of my eyes because I put the rear axel on 20" high stands so I can sit on a seat.
Looks like the link to the parts page did not work, however if you type d140 ( note no spaces) in the little window at the top it will bring up your mower as a clickable link.
Click on the line that looks like this 10445 - D140 100 Series Tractor - 02Nov16 ( FR DE IT ES )
Then click on this Sectional Index
Then click on this 30 - Fuel And Air
Then click on this 20 - Fuel Tank (100001 - )
Note there are 4 fuel tank diagrams ( 17-18-19-20)
17 is the first type without the idiot fuel level indicator
18-19-20 are the new type
18 & 20 are the same
19, the image Blaz posted is the same tank, but a different image including the California only charcoal filter and showing the fuel indicator as disconnected parts.

IF you bought the digital version of the technical manual which you would have by now , then you could have read the :-
THEORY OF OPERATION
The rear of the fuel tank ( Part 1 ) sits in a channel in the frame which allows it to pivot up and down at the front end.
The front end of the fuel tank sits on the foot of the indicator arm ( part 11 )
The indicator arm itself pivots on the support base ( part 12 )
The front of the fuel tank is held up by a pair of springs ( part 13 ) which span from an anchor point on the fender ( not shown in this diagram ) to bushes ( part 7) over protrusions moulded into the tank and fastened by a spring clip ( part 6).
AS fuel is placed into the tank , the weight of the fuel tank increases causing it to stretch the springs allowing it to depress the arm which being a bell crank causing the visible indicator to rise.

If you use the link to the JD parts diagrams and ferret a bit you might also find section 85 - Mower Deck And Lift Linkage
Clicking on that will reveal subsection 44 - Mower Deck Lift Linkage

PAY ATTENTION THIS IS IMPORTANT

This diagram is wrong it is for the previous model ( first fuel tank diagram 17 ) without the fuel indicator.
The deck lift rod ( part 21 ) is incorrectly named "universal driveshaft".
On the older system it is retained by a pair of steel saddle clamps ( part 15 )
On your mower the deck lift rod is retained by the support base ( part 12 in the previous diagram ) which is plastic.
if the deck is given a hard whack when on a high cut position the lift rod ( part 21 ) hits the plastic support base and it breaks as mentioned way back in a previous post
Grass accumulates between the indicator arm & the support.
It also accumulates under the fuel tank with the same effect.
Don't forget to grease the axle or the wheels will rust solid to the axle.

Thank You. I did not see your earlier post.

Once again... Thanks !

edv7028

mrstan

Threads
Hello All...

While cutting some 8.0' high White Weed, a small tree fell over and stuck on top of the Reverse Pedal. I backed-out of the jungle, then drove back to the house. No Problems.

When I tried to restart the engine, it wouldn't even crank. I called JD Customer Service who relayed me to a local dealer. They told me it was possibly the Reverse Switch beneath the frame; but couldn't point me any closer. Does anyone have a photo of where this switch is ?

I'd also like to know how to access the Fuel Level Indicator so I can clean any grass and debris from it. JD Customer Service tells me that this may be the problem for Intermittent Reading of my Fuel Level. Help me if you can.

Thank You !

edv7028
Seguin, Texas

I suggest you get the parts diagrams for your tractor to look over. This helps me find where parts are as well as giving me the part numbers and getting a new one when I need. Here is link to page...

Put in your model and save your pages in a folder to review anytime you need:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...HomePageServlet_Alt?irand=4927453327120750782

Hope that helps some! It is free, right? LOL

Stan

edv7028

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You; but I finally got the problem fixed.
Have a Great Day !

edv7028